View Single Post
Old 16-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
Cjmur
Egg

Default Tortoise suspected bladder stone surgery help please????

Hello everyone, just looking for some advice if you could spare a minute or two....

Long story short, my 3 year old Hermann called Jen, lost their appetite recently, was struggling to poo and has recently become very lethargic. Took a trip to the vets today and had horrible news. Jen has a 2cm mass (they are almost positive it's a bladder stone) and this is causing her to be backed up. She is only a small tortoise (10cm long and approx 196g) so the mass is very big for her size.

The vet said her only option is surgery to remove the stone, and I thought okay, great, even though the vet said the survival rate may not be good I thought it was worth it. Then I was told the price and my heart sank. I was told it would be in the £2000-£2500 range for the surgery and everything along with it. Honestly, I can't afford that much money, I just don't have it. I was thinking it would be £500-£750 maximum, which I could just about scrape together. I love my tortoise and it breaks my heart I can't afford to help them.

I guess I'm hoping for a miracle and someone to tell me there is some sort of alternative to surgery? Or even that my vets are overcharging and there is a cheaper option?

Thank you for your help.
Cjmur is offline   Reply With Quote