View Single Post
Old 25-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #14
Laura1412
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Hi Laura. Yes I say raise the bulb until the hotspot is 32c. Don't worry about uv in the short term. I think your tort feels warm enough without basking because of the high background temperature. I also agree with the idea of the heat building up inside the enclosure because of the high sides.

As the weather is going to get warmer the heat problem might get worse. One way to tackle it might be a good uv strip and a much lower wattage halogen bulb which should be nearer the floor of the enclosure. That would allow for a greater difference between the hotspot and the cooler part of the enclosure which I think would mean the tortoise would come out of hid hide, get warm under the lamp and then move away to the cooler area.

Even better would be to find a way to get the tortoise outside safely in the better weather.
Thanks johnathan I av got a t8 tube across the middle of enclosure now I only use the mvb as it's the highest war bulb I ad to put in after removing the plexiglass top to ensure it was warm enough I have removed the slate from under it and I'm getting a reading of 33 so it still needs to go up higher I'm takin him to the vet tomorrow to be checked over just to make sure he is alright so fingers crossed
Laura1412 is offline   Reply With Quote