Thread: Not eating
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
susan, Horsfields are brilliant for 'just do it'. They should have the Nike tick on their shells. If he has been a mixture of out and in, I agree with Sandy, their senses kick in and they just know. My outdoor lot stopped eating September and all my Horsfields are more or less buried. I get calls saying Tortoise Societies are saying its too early keep them up for a while , but nature can and will take its course - if that's your decision to hibernate so if that is the case I would follow Pebbles lead if you can. (not you hibernate I mean pebbles - though it is tempting sometimes I admit) rule of thumb for me is 1 month stop eating 1 month for purge (must be warmish at times but not warm enough massively active), lock down first week of November. so 1+1 - 11th Month!!
None of us have to worry to much if this year they have a longer hibernation, as long as it does not happen every year. This is the first time in 20yr my tortoises have gone down this early. I have one down and four on their way. We had a rubbish August, and I think the torts though it was the Autumn.
I am not worrying this year if they have four months hibernation. It must happen in the wild. No two years are the same, this year has been particularly bad weather wise for tortoises:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote