View Single Post
Old 29-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
do you put them in water to begin with Sandy?
They are lovely , and like Emma I have the Christmas cacti and Easter one with jagged edges. Can they live indoors do you know?
I have just seeded some poppies and have bought my first Aeonium this year , indoors ....not sure is spelling is right (not of indoors , I can spell that), CB
Well the normal way to treat cuttings are to let the end seal over (up to two weeks somewhere coolish) then put into a epip mix (dont water) then leave until roots for, then repot. But again dont water for a couple of weeks to allow the roots to settle. Always use rainwater.
But there is another way apparently, to make a V on the cut end of the cutting, then put it into rain water (shallow) mark a clear plastic cup/glass to top end of the V. Keep topped up with rain water.
I am trying both methods:0) The cuttings I bought have now just started to root. Only tiny roots. But the roots need a little longer before potting on. They have taken around three weeks to just starting to root. The ones in water have only been there around a week.
They cannot take temps below 10c so need to be in a room/greenhouse/conservatory where you can use heat for them. They can go outside in pots during the Summer months:0)
I have learnt a lot so far, but more to learn:0)

I

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote