View Single Post
Old 24-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #55
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Yes my tortoises are outside from around May sometimes earlier depending on the weather, until late September early October again depending on the weather. Last year was the first in a very very long time they were in early September. My heat goes off in May and back on again depending on the weather again in early October. The rest of the time they have the unheated GH for housing. They come and go as they please during the unheated time.

I do think the longer artificial heat is used is detrimental. Far better they get as much natural UV and heat. Of course this depends on where you live. I am lucky enough to live in the SE, and it does help. I think any keeper living in the south of England can easily treat their tortoises as they would in the wild. Far too many keepers worry too much about heat etc.
Tortoises themselves can tell you a lot. They wont come out if its too cold, and will come out in much lower temps than you think. My tortoises come out when temps are as low as 12c early morning., provided the sun is shinning. Other wise they wouldnt come out. I used to watch my tortoises very carefully in the early days, and use them as a weather indicator. They know when its going to drop in temps, or even if its going to rain.
By going back into the GH. And using common sense also helps:0)

Thank you Sandy - this is what I am aspiring to. Last year I only let them stay out overnight if it was warm at night. Keeping in mind they were actually sleeping inside the house of their their outdoor pen! I have definitely been one of the worriers, but the forum has really helped me and like you I spend much time watching them. This is the year for giving them their independence - under a watchful eye.