View Single Post
Old 25-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH1 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your comment - I really agree with you! I have built him numerous enclosures, I even this year bought a greenhouse to put him in but regardless of how warm he is or how much interesting shade and cover I give him, when he's outside he just buries himself and doesn't get up in the morning!

Every day i'm getting him up and putting him under his lamp, bathing him, feeding him etc. Yet if I bring him in the house which is where he is for the winter he is doing laps of his tortoise table, scratching, climbing stuff. It's like he's voice activated with people around!!

If you have any good ideas about what I can try then i'd be very happy to hear them as I feel like he's not having a very good time outside. If i leave him, he'll just stay dug in and end up losing weight etc.

Thanks, Anna

It can take quite a while ( a few weeks) for a tortoise to get used to a new enclosure or revamped one. They dont like change just like us. They will hide away.
I would just leave him outside for a few days to really see if he stays buried, or whether you are stressing to much (they do that to us:0) ).
When I first put my tortoise outside, I put them into the greenhouse (it has a hole so they can come and go as they please) it took them a week of me finding them at night and putting them into the GH. They eventually get the message:0)
Now if I block my GH off for cleaning, they try everything to get back into it:0)
Give a go at just leaving him to it, as long as you monitor where he is (generally this is where the last rays of sun are, and he probably just buries down there) and put him back at night. Dont feed him, so he has to look for food, they can go weeks without food, its just us that think they need feeding everyday:0)
With tortoises you need a lot of patience, just like having a child:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote