View Single Post
Old 15-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
JoesMum
Hatchling

Firstly, welcome

Join the club. This is the first year Joe has not been able to hibernate. It's a common problem with mature UK spur thighs, from what I can gather, due to the lousy summers we've had over the last couple of years.

Joe's winter quarters are pictured here. http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=46709
He's taken over my dining room in a 6 foot by 4 foot book case lined with pond liner. Our tort-qualified vet has advised me to let him out to let off steam for a couple of hours every day pretty much regardless of the weather.

It's the same advice regarding temperatures as for the little guys, you just have to do everything on a semi-industrial scale. Joe's in the dining room because it would be impossible to get my garage up to anything like the required background temperature without bankrupting us with the heating bill. With this set-up, I can achieve 30 degrees daytime and with central heating and lamps off it drops to 23.5 degrees at night.

Newspaper isn't an ideal substrate, but when these guys toilet... there's a lot to clear up. The house bricks are for clambering which Joe does a lot.

Last edited by JoesMum; 15-11-2011 at 10:31 PM.
JoesMum is offline   Reply With Quote