View Single Post
Old 13-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
Daryn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
Hi Daryn, Tort lodge was designed with a a double layer which is insulated, though I had it made of wood. Like you have said, the sole purpose was so my torts could dig down and hibernate safely without the use of a fridge or box. It is very successful if the pre and post hibernation is managed properly and a lovely way to hibernate and I think a lot less stressful for keepers and torts. I should think that if everything is properly secure rats would not be a problem.
Underground is lined with breeze blocks, 2inches thick insulation blocks and pond liner...... It would take a super rat to get through that!!! X x x. Hugs x x x
My own hibernate in their outside den which is inside the coldframe. The way I do it is watch the long range weather forcast, keep them going until I know the weather is going to be under 10c for a good few months then get them down. I set the tube heater inside for 5c incase we get a really icey snap, its worked brilliantly for the last 3 years and give me piece of mind.

My own den is like yours, double insulated, the bottom of my coldframe is layered with bricks, even the coldframe is double skinned with decking boards and has a tarpaulin round the inside wall to keep wind out.

The things we do for our babies eh

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote