Thread: Jury service
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
yuna1971
Adult

I used to be a Jury Officer when I worked at Bristol Crown Court.
It's not as bad as some think to serve and it's still one of the most important things you can be asked to do for your country.
There can be a lot of waiting around but it's simply as some cases are listed for a trial but when it comes to calling them on - the situation can change, ie a 'cracked trial' which means its withdrawn by the Prosecution, or the defendant pleads guilty at the last minute. The jury pool is randomly selected (if my memory serves) about 12 weeks before - using the electoral roll register. It is at the point of being summoned that you have the chance to state reasons why you cannot serve, or due to certain circumstances wish to defer. Being deferred as Jackie quite rightly stated does not mean you won't be called. Just means that your name will be added to another pool in 3 months time.
Even I wasn't exempt and I was working right in amongst it at Bristol... I had to do it at Newport. I found it interesting. I was on a trial and I think as long as you take a book, knitting, Nintendo DS, whatever then the time does go by - but until the Court actually know whether a trial is going to 'crack' , or theres another unforeseen sudden problem ,or that there are no other trials that day then it is a bit of waiting around . You get travel subsistence, and a daily subsistence rate which you can claim back at the end. Any wages lost if its a normal day you work (and would have got paid) will be paid back to you.
I think if you or your daughter writes to the Jury Officer at the Court where she has been summoned, Wendy they may accept her being exempt. Sometimes if they have enough in terms of numbers in that pool, they can let certain people go. I can't 100% say that will def be the case but most court staff are very helpful and sensitive to people's personal circumstances. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 11-02-2013 at 06:51 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote