Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Fireworks. (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73587)

vikki 07-11-2015 07:23 PM

Fireworks.

Is it just me who hates the fact that these days bonfire night is no longer on the 5th of November. I enjoy a good bonfire and display but am tied to the house after dark for several weeks because of my spaniels phobia. The problem isn't organised displays but the abundance of people who buy them to let off in their gardens etc. - as said this can then go on for weeks with fireworks going off literally over top of my garden. With organised displays everybody stays safe and those of us who need to not be about can arrange to be elsewhere. I have a hyperventilating and quivering spaniel trying to climb on my knee as I write this due to the odd firework constantly going off. I do wish they would stop being sold to the public and be professional only displays. Sorry rant over have now got a terrified spaniel l to deal with but what do others think?:sad:

Gordon 07-11-2015 07:41 PM

Have you tried calmex tablets I have tried them this year with a fairly good result we have our village bonfire directly opposite my cottage so no escape.

vikki 07-11-2015 07:56 PM

No I haven't - will have to look into those thanks Gordon. I use aromatherapy oils and rescue remedy but with little success but the problem is he has a heart murmur so although the stress really isn't good it also means he cant really have stronger sedatives:(
I live in a smallish town but it started here at 5:00 and is still going on now:(:( and has been most nights for the last week:(:(

Stellanne 07-11-2015 08:12 PM

I don't like bonfire night, though I did take my children to bonfires but I had to make them go in as much as they weren't too bothered. Now I don't think they go out. The pets we had would quiver Vikki and be so stressed. I wonder how our service people get on with all the bangs and cracks for weeks on end.
We had local idiots letting fireworks off a few weeks ago and it has gone on nightly since. There is continuous banging now and I know it will go in till after midnight. X x x xhugs x x x

Stellanne 07-11-2015 08:16 PM

Have a look at this link, this happened not far from where I live http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/201...ential-street/

vikki 07-11-2015 08:23 PM

That is crazy and really supports my argument that they should not be sold to the general public. The company that I work for sells them for about 4-6 weeks around bonfire night and then again at New Year but they have been hoping to sell them year round - the amount we sell and the money they make is astronomical so most businesses wouldn't want to stop but surely purely from a safety point of view it would make sense not to be on general sale.

Stellanne 07-11-2015 08:35 PM

I agree, but my generation had a very different experience of fireworks. We went Potato picking at October half term to get money to buy fireworks. When we did we would 'play' with them....it take them out of the box, look at them, work out what order to let them off..... Then on bonfire night.......yes it was always 5th November, dad would light them..... All over and done with in about 20 mins......the rest of the bonfire party was poking the fire and eating Parkin, jacket potatoes and chestnuts.......with bonfire toffee and toffee apples..... Bed and next day playing on the bonfire embers and hunting down rocket sticks and other evidence of fireworks !!!!!! Hugs x x x x

Gordon 07-11-2015 09:01 PM

Parkin.... that's a bit of a northern thing isn't it.

Stellanne 07-11-2015 09:06 PM

Yes I am afraid it is.........and my dad said every year I can remember, when out in the car ' no Parkin(g) and so close to bonfire night!!! X x x x hugs x x x

vikki 07-11-2015 09:16 PM

Had never heard of parkin but having investigated what it is I think it sounds great:)