Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hermann eggs (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74932)

Ozric Jonathan 24-02-2019 10:11 AM

Hermann eggs

Hi folks. This is about females laying eggs after waking from hibernation. Eggs that must have been formed at the end of last season but were not laid before winter set in. Are these very unlikely to be fertile?

sandy 24-02-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan (Post 676679)
Hi folks. This is about females laying eggs after waking from hibernation. Eggs that must have been formed at the end of last season but were not laid before winter set in. Are these very unlikely to be fertile?

I have had fertile Ibera eggs laid after hibernation, and before getting with a male again:0)

Gordon 24-02-2019 10:29 AM

Hi Jonathan
I did mention this a while ago as I have never had a fertile egg that has been laid usually within the first week of getting them up.
But I do know others that have had luck even so I will always put an egg in the incubator just in case.

It's a bit simular with surface laid eggs I have never had a fertile one but others have so all I can suggest is if you have some try incubating.

Ozric Jonathan 24-02-2019 03:38 PM

Thanks Sandy and Gordon. I half remembered you saying that G and wanted to check. I don't do breeding much but a couple of people asked and I expect 2 females will lay early season. I will incubate more in hope than expectation!

emma_mcraf 24-02-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan (Post 676682)
Thanks Sandy and Gordon. I half remembered you saying that G and wanted to check. I don't do breeding much but a couple of people asked and I expect 2 females will lay early season. I will incubate more in hope than expectation!

If you have fertile eggs, hopefully you’ll have an easier transition from the hatchlings leaving your care into someone else’s if they’ve actually been requested this time, Jonathan. I remember you finding it tough last time.
Be lovely to hear how things go and if you get eggs to incubate, how they get on.

Ozric Jonathan 24-02-2019 10:55 PM

Hi Emma. Yes lovely people from last time want more! I won't need to go through that process this time. We're just feeling a bit more pressure to reproduce!

emma_mcraf 25-02-2019 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan (Post 676687)
Hi Emma. Yes lovely people from last time want more! I won't need to go through that process this time. We're just feeling a bit more pressure to reproduce!

I think it’s lovely they have come back to you. I’m sure you’ll get some fertile eggs this year and it’ll be nice to go through the process again.

CherryBrandy 26-02-2019 06:49 PM

its so lovely when people are interested, not those that feign interest then find out its too much too bother with - good luck Jonathan - you lot are practically living in Barbados weather. CB