Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Tortoise Health and Vets (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   **please help***(urgent!) (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=22337)

Dandelion 28-11-2008 12:37 PM

**please help***(urgent!)

My baby tortoise Carolina, since three days ago is having trouble breathing as it seems... She really opens her mouth and takes out her neck as far as she can and sometimes she does a squeaky sound.... I can't go to the vet, he is two hours away from me and I am tight on the money now.... I put Carolina in a big hamster cage with fresh newspaper, a small blanket and shelter outside in the veranda where there is sun... I had problems with respiratory with some other tortoises before but my vet told me how to treat it and it worked with the ones which had respiratort problem. I am doing the treatment with Carolina and she doesn't squeak as much as she did but I think I started it late I don't know what to do please help I don't want her to die....

rodneyvet 28-11-2008 03:21 PM

Start by making a humid box. Its a tuppaware box with a small hole cut in the side.. put the lid on and fill it with steam from the kettle. then take the kettle away and put the tort in the box with the lid on and the hole covered so essentially she is in a "steam room". this will help her loosen any particles of debris in her respiratory system. What treatment have you been giving her. She probably needs to get to a vet as soon as you can

pammy 28-11-2008 03:40 PM

dandelion do hope your baby tort will be ok pammy

pammy 28-11-2008 03:42 PM

poorly baby tortise

dandelion hope your baby tortise is going to be ok x pammy

Paulg1 28-11-2008 03:42 PM

when she has her mouth open can you see anything obstructing her breathing? If she is that distressed she may have swallowed something like her bedding.

Dandelion 28-11-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneyvet (Post 232992)
Start by making a humid box. Its a tuppaware box with a small hole cut in the side.. put the lid on and fill it with steam from the kettle. then take the kettle away and put the tort in the box with the lid on and the hole covered so essentially she is in a "steam room". this will help her loosen any particles of debris in her respiratory system. What treatment have you been giving her. She probably needs to get to a vet as soon as you can

Will do, thanks! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pammy (Post 232994)
dandelion do hope your baby tort will be ok pammy

Thank you so much pammy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulg1 (Post 232996)
when she has her mouth open can you see anything obstructing her breathing? If she is that distressed she may have swallowed something like her bedding.

No, it's quite clear, I don't know why this has happened... I've had her for so long with no problems and she has also been with her other 12 baby tortoises and they don't have a problem I don't know why this has happened to her... Oh and she is on newspaper, I have all the young ones on newspaper which I change daily so they will always have a clean environment..

Thanks again everyone!

baybay 28-11-2008 09:41 PM

Cant offer much help, but good luck and hope your tort feels better soon

lindso3000 11-02-2009 12:17 AM

how did you get on? X

Alan1 11-02-2009 08:29 AM

It would be a help to others to know

alotoffluff 11-02-2009 09:32 AM

im sorry she is unwell. How is she now? Any improvement???