Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   climbing horsfield (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=73146)

carryonsue 02-07-2015 10:47 PM

climbing horsfield

Hi
Lately pebbles my horsfield seems to have an fad for climbing over everything and seems to have no fear, she gets herself upright in her tort table hooking her claws over the edge to climb out but she can`t as I have chicken wire on top as i have a cat so thats to keep her out and tort in lol, she goes outside during the day in her outside enclosure but again tries all ways to climb out, I do let her roam round the garden as she loves to walk around but I always watch her as we have quite a long garden,Is there any reason for her climbing or is it normal behaviour or is she bored, Thanks Susan and Pebbles

pagan queen 03-07-2015 12:11 AM

I find if they are climbing to escape it's because they are looking for food. When mine are well fed they don't climb. Do you restrict food or feed as much as she wants?

Pussygalore 03-07-2015 08:04 AM

be carefull the tort doesn't get its claws caught in the wire, the ideal depth for a table is one that is to deep for them to touch the top, if they can reach it they will eventually climb out. Claws that get caught can be ripped out needing an urgent trip to a vet and a tort that can reach the top can fall backwards and possibly get stuck on its back, if that happens under the heat source it can be fatal.

sandy 03-07-2015 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carryonsue (Post 655048)
Hi
Lately pebbles my horsfield seems to have an fad for climbing over everything and seems to have no fear, she gets herself upright in her tort table hooking her claws over the edge to climb out but she can`t as I have chicken wire on top as i have a cat so thats to keep her out and tort in lol, she goes outside during the day in her outside enclosure but again tries all ways to climb out, I do let her roam round the garden as she loves to walk around but I always watch her as we have quite a long garden,Is there any reason for her climbing or is it normal behaviour or is she bored, Thanks Susan and Pebbles

This is what tortoises do:0)
Are you sure your tortoise is female?
If so has she been with a male?
How big is your tortoise?
What temps are you using?
All this needs to be answered before we can really help you.
Gravid females will knock everything out of their way, and constantly roaming.
If they are too hot, they will do the same to find somewhere cooler.

Horace2 04-07-2015 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carryonsue (Post 655048)
Hi

Yesterday my horsfield Horace excaped into the cow field. There were 7 cows in the back. I could not find him anywhere. I looked and looked..................................
Horace has a good home with me but he always wants to bugger off:mad:
Lets see how he gets on out there:mad:

yuna1971 04-07-2015 03:16 PM

Oh Chris hope you find the "little sod"!! I would make attempts to find him if you can though as there could be night predators about. Hope you get Horace back soon! xx:)

Horace2 04-07-2015 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuna1971 (Post 655141)
Oh Chris hope you find the "little sod"!! I would make attempts to find him if you can though as there could be night predators about. Hope you get Horace back soon! xx:)

You are a lovely lady Rach. We have not talked for years. But you give me good advice about looking after Horace in 2009 and you were just lovely and Right.
I had Horace in 2009, he was 1 year only the size of a 50 pence peice. Now he is over 6 inches. His shell is lovely, I am pround of that. He is a "Big Male":shock:
But no sign of him this afternoon
I can't do any more:mad:
You be well and Safe Rach

CherryBrandy 04-07-2015 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horace2 (Post 655145)
You are a lovely lady Rach. We have not talked for years. But you give me good advice about looking after Horace in 2009 and you were just lovely and Right.
I had Horace in 2009, he was 1 year only the size of a 50 pence peice. Now he is over 6 inches. His shell is lovely, I am pround of that. He is a "Big Male":shock:
But no sign of him this afternoon
I can't do any more:mad:
You be well and Safe Rach

oh my goodness this is awful, Horace will come back to his house though ? maybe place it outside and he will find his way back?

They are madcap Horsfields. usual behaviour I know. My older ones don't so much bother now but some of them, will look for the gaps or when I come into enclosure try the gaate. My 8 girlies are all mad. my boys are crazy but I love them all. different characters. Hope Horace is ok, CB

carryonsue 06-07-2015 10:11 PM

Hi Everyone,
I do not restrict pebbles food she has food whenever she wants,she never seems to eat loads anyway, I will need to get a new tort table soon as she was not able to reach the top before but now she can,she is my only tort I had her since march last year she was 2 years old then she weighs 400g /14 oz she is 5 inches long her temps are 31/32 is that too hot? i will post a picture of pebbles for you to check her but forgot how to post LOL thanks Susan and pebbles.

Ozric Jonathan 07-07-2015 07:02 PM

Hi Susan. I say it's normal behaviour and your top temps are not too hot.

Is there a way to make a temporary enclsoure in the garden?