Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Other Animals (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What would you have done ? (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=46508)

Beverley 02-11-2011 06:48 PM

What would you have done ?

On Saturday, driving my son to work I saw a collie the rough haired or as I know them Lassie type, running along a very busy road, clearly lost and scared.
On the way back it was still there running in the middle of the road etc. I stopped and tried to get it to come over but it ran away. I came back to the house got some baps, and rope and headed back. I pulled in and chatted to her for a while and have her a bun which she accepted. I got out of the car slowly and she did come over and let me pet her, managed to get the rope on her and get her into the car !!
She was pretty dirty with a very matted piece of blue nylon rope around her neck and an old rusted hook. I phoned the police on Sunday to see if anyone had reported her missing but nothing.
She had no Id tag, license or anything.
She's a pretty nice dog, but awful on the lead, I would say she was never walked, won't eat out of a bowl you have to put it on the floor !!
Her main problem is barking at everyone and every lorry that passes and she will come in at night but not during the day. She's a bit of a handful but what else could I do. Nobody else stopped and I couldn't not help her.

terig 02-11-2011 06:51 PM

I would have done the same. Teri x

Xero 02-11-2011 07:02 PM

Yeah, I would of also done the same thing. :P

Easter Bunny 02-11-2011 07:12 PM

If no owners come forward and you do decide to keep her you might beable to re-train her a little :D

Are you going to keep her or hand her in to a rescue? xxx

I would have done the same thing too :D

jonesy 02-11-2011 07:21 PM

I would have done exactually the same as well. Perhaps she is a farm dog. Are you going to put posters up?

Beverley 02-11-2011 07:25 PM

If no owners come forward I might keep her as my beloved Babs died in June. I said no more dogs and then this happened :)
I don't want to hand her in, incase they put her to sleep. Which would be a sin as she's a young healthy dog. It's the barking at everything that is the problem and wanting out at 6.30 each morning to bark at lorries. She could jump my wall but hasn't. I reckon she could be smart so maybe with patience and time she may improve.
I have her booked in for a bath and groom. What type of brush would I use for her coat ?

Beverley 02-11-2011 07:28 PM

I am not putting posters up. A part of me doesn't want her to leave if you saw what was tied round her neck and the state of her you wouldn't want her to go back to that place. But if someone comes to claim her I will of course let her go.

nikkijw 02-11-2011 07:34 PM

i too would of done the same.someone at work told me that when his dogs bark he just puts his hand out in front of him and holds it there til they stop and it works. maybe you could get him a kong toy, fill it with food, it occupies their mind as my dog has collie in him and had loadsa problems so he saw a behaviourist and she said that because they are intelligent they need to work for things. he will eat from a bowl but preferred the floor. maybe get him some dap too as it releases the mums hormones

judith ann 02-11-2011 07:35 PM

Exactly the same :DTop marks for your patience:D

nikkijw 02-11-2011 07:36 PM

there was loads of advice that she gave me and if you like i can try to dig out the info as it was trial and error with him. some of the things she said worked fantastically