Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Has anyone else's gone down yet? (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=75093)

Alan1 15-09-2020 10:05 AM

Has anyone else's gone down yet?

One of mine has gone down yesterday, 4 days later than last year. One always goes in September and the other in October. It doesn't seem to matter how warm it is, it's the warmest it's been since June

sandy 15-09-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan1 (Post 679133)
One of mine has gone down yesterday, 4 days later than last year. One always goes in September and the other in October. It doesn't seem to matter how warm it is, it's the warmest it's been since June

Its funny as I live at the other end of the country and mine have been slowing down big time. Even when temps have been above 26c in the last few days. So maybe they are trying to tell us something :0)

CherryBrandy 15-09-2020 05:18 PM

its strange this year. Usually my boy spur has dug down and dont see him til next year even though he may not be fully hibernated but post Bank holiday thats it. This year he is bombing around for food , which is making me nervous as rule of thumb, stop eats sept, purge 4 weeks october , packed or under by first week November. All the others are haring it round too. Big Margie even ate an apple today that was the size of a possum which had fallen down, CB

Alan1 17-09-2020 01:52 PM

My other one is slowing down, not eating much and not moving about much but has another 2-3 weeks to go until the usual time she goes down. It's a scorcher today too but doing nothing much at all. It's only 7c at nights

sandy 17-09-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan1 (Post 679144)
My other one is slowing down, not eating much and not moving about much but has another 2-3 weeks to go until the usual time she goes down. It's a scorcher today too but doing nothing much at all. It's only 7c at nights

Here although its still very warm, mine seem to know the days are getting shorter and colder. Its over 20c her in the SE and my tortoises have not left the GH, not even earlier on when they are normally up and about. :0)

CherryBrandy 25-09-2020 05:36 PM

Sandy are you sure they just dont know its Christmas 3 months from today - ! CB

sandy 25-09-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBrandy (Post 679157)
Sandy are you sure they just dont know its Christmas 3 months from today - ! CB

They certainly know more than I do:0)

Alan1 01-10-2020 10:47 AM

Well after only 17 days or so my first one to go down has resurfaced. My other one who was slowing right down and looked like going down at any point has become a bit more active too. This is despite the temperatures being lower now

sandy 01-10-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan1 (Post 679167)
Well after only 17 days or so my first one to go down has resurfaced. My other one who was slowing right down and looked like going down at any point has become a bit more active too. This is despite the temperatures being lower now

My greenhouse was around 36c yesterday middayish, and one of my females is still digging down so wont be long. And I am at the other end of the country. So they do know something we dont:0)

sandy 01-10-2020 02:37 PM

Well checked my female today and she is still down, this is with heat on in the morning and temps in my other plant GH is 28c, so she is down for the big sleep:0)