Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   komodo tortoise pellets (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=52721)

Laura1988 12-09-2012 02:04 PM

komodo tortoise pellets

I have just been having a browse thtough the shelled warriors shop and saw that under the tortoise specific kits for red foots it reccomends komodo tortoise pellets as they contain high levels of protein. Dont get me wrong i am not doubting or questionin this advice, I just wanted to double check they are ok for redfoots as i always thought komodo pellets were aimed at med tortoises.

Herpard 12-09-2012 02:07 PM

If they're the flavoured ones I don't think they are, this is what it says on one of my tubs.

Complete and balanced nutrition, suitable for European and Russian tortoises, natural flavours and high in fibre.

TillyTortoise 12-09-2012 02:11 PM

I'm sure they are fine :)

Laura1988 12-09-2012 02:29 PM

i might give them a go, my mum has some for her horsefields so i might pinch some from her when i next go round.

herriotfan 12-09-2012 04:10 PM

It says for European and Russian on the tub I've got.
My Herms love them when I feed some as a special treat! :wink:

EJ 12-09-2012 08:02 PM

I always have to ask... what is 'high' protein for any chelonian?

Laura1988 12-09-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ (Post 565373)
I always have to ask... what is 'high' protein for any chelonian?

no idea just repeating what i read

EJ 12-09-2012 08:27 PM

For the benefit of all others wrestling with this question... from what you've read... have you ever seen a quantity listed as to what is too much protein.

Please don't look at this as a personal attack but you bring up a point that I've been trying to clarify for a good number of years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura1988 (Post 565379)
no idea just repeating what i read

Laura1988 12-09-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ (Post 565382)
For the benefit of all others wrestling with this question... from what you've read... have you ever seen a quantity listed as to what is too much protein.

Please don't look at this as a personal attack but you bring up a point that I've been trying to clarify for a good number of years.

Im not taking it as a personal attack, its so hard to type stuff in they way in whoch it is intended. Personally i have never found anywhere which says the precise amount of protein for any breed of tortoise. I am just trying to establish if Komodo pellets are ok for my redfoots, so they have more variety

EJ 12-09-2012 09:14 PM

I've been using pelleted diets for about 12 years now. Komodo is one of the diets that I do recommend. I don't think they've been around for 12 years. A good number of the pelleted diets are based on a very similar formula.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura1988 (Post 565388)
Im not taking it as a personal attack, its so hard to type stuff in they way in whoch it is intended. Personally i have never found anywhere which says the precise amount of protein for any breed of tortoise. I am just trying to establish if Komodo pellets are ok for my redfoots, so they have more variety