Shelled Warriors Forums

Shelled Warriors Forums (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Dried flower mix (http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=72283)

Gawain 26-09-2014 01:36 PM

Dried flower mix

Hello . my mum has recently bought two one month old Herman tortoises, I was just wondering if any of you have experience or any advice on the mixed dried Flowers you can purchase from the shelled warriors shop. Have any of you tried this product and do your tortoises like the dried Flowers, . I know fresh is ideal but we have a limited supply of flowers and weeds in our garden, so I was hoping that this dried mix with over 20 varieties would be a good solution.

Thank you any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

emma_mcraf 26-09-2014 04:26 PM

Mine won't touch them I'm afraid. It's a shame as they're ideal to help bulk out the weeds in the winter. I've just got a lot of fusspots. :roll:

pagan queen 26-09-2014 06:04 PM

Mine don't like them either but I don't have Hermans.

Suze65 26-09-2014 07:12 PM

I have tried them , they like some of them, but I do pick out any really hard crispy bits.

Pussygalore 27-09-2014 08:21 AM

mine didn't like them as they are but if mixed in with other wet food they were eaten I think they became a bit more 'normal', to be honest I think they'd have to be pretty desperate in the wild to eat dried flowers, they probably wouldn't find them anyway. None of the flowers I've ever seen growing naturally are that dry, the petals fall off and go soggy or limp not crispy.

Catwoman63 27-09-2014 04:13 PM

Tried mine on them and they didn't eat them either, they prefer fresh flowers growing or freshly picked x

sarah 30-09-2014 09:04 AM

When I pick weeds I wet them. Then add the dried mix which then sticks to the weeds. They have no choice but to eat them.

Star 17-07-2015 08:58 PM

I know this is an old thread but might be helpful to someone.
My tortoises wouldn't touch dried either so what I do is I dry or buy dried weeds from here and then food process them to make them as fine as possible but still with body. I then add a few table spoons to either weeds I have at hand, this offers the torts a larger variety or to lettuce if theres not many weeds such as in winter time. I find that the torts start of sniffing and not sure, but then dig in and soon develop a taste for them.
It's a handy tip when you need them to have dried when weeds are limited.

vikki 17-07-2015 10:16 PM

That's a good tip - I have been trying to get mine eating dried for ages - they will occasionally take a mouthful (more by mistake than anything!!) but have tried the pre alpin cobs and fibre and burgess dried country herbs as well as shelled warrior flower mix with no joy. I would like them to eat it to provide more variety especially when weeds become more scarce as even if I do hibernate this year (will depend on weights etc) it will probably only be for about 8 weeks so will still have quite a long period of limited weeds so will definitely try this. Thanks:)

Star 17-07-2015 11:37 PM

You are welcome. I know how hard it is to get them eating things they don't want to. It got mine eating them and now they just dig straight in:)