Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 11-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
wigwamman
Juvenile

Default lumisol cold frame

i got hold of some lumisol recently and recovered the torts cold frame,not a big job or much to shout about,just a little effort to keep the posting going.

first pic is with the old cover which was 5mm perspex,i doubt any uv was getting through this!

second pic is a simple wooden frame made from roofing laths held together with angle brackets.

third pic,the job completed,the plastic was held on from underneath with drawing pins as my staple gun kept jamming.

a random pic of the girls enjoying the pre alpin.

wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Daryn
Hatchling

Whats the light like getting through that as it looks like you have bought the diffused instead of the clear. Neat job by the way

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

Nice frame. Being very rude can I ask a question on a different subject please? Your pre-alpin seems very wet compared to how I do mine, do they like it? Is it the equine or tort one? (I have tried both but prep it a lot drier than yours & I only have two that "sometimes"! like it!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
Wyannis
Hatchling

My pre alpin looks like that and my two scoff it up. I do find though that they struggle if it is in a flat bowl or on the slate. If I scrape it up into a tower they seem to find that much easier. I usually have to come back and scrape it back up again after they have trodden all over it. Then they come running back and start eating it again. Maybe mine are just mollycoddled though!
Wyannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:20 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyannis View Post
My pre alpin looks like that and my two scoff it up. I do find though that they struggle if it is in a flat bowl or on the slate. If I scrape it up into a tower they seem to find that much easier. I usually have to come back and scrape it back up again after they have trodden all over it. Then they come running back and start eating it again. Maybe mine are just mollycoddled though!
That's what I do. I soak the Pre Alpin for maybe five minutes then serve it. After ten minutes I come back and find it flattened. I scrape it back into a mound and the tortoises treat it like a new dinner!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I'm really tempted to get a cheap coldframe and replace the glazing with this lumisol.

Wigwmamman can I ask what the score is with your electrics? do you have heating in side the coldframe?

thanks
Old 12-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #7
4chester
Incubating

Mine love the prealpine too, but I leave it soaking for 15 mins or so, then feed. They wouldn't intially touch it but persevere, it's worth it to ensure there getting plenty of fibre through them
4chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
wigwamman
Juvenile

electrics inside cold frame consist of three 100watt security lamps plugged into a habistat dimmer,these are suspended on a crossmember and are easy to move or take out.all outside electrics are covered by an rcd inside the house.the lamps are used early spring/late autumn or as necessary .
natural daylight inside the coldframe is very good,i requested the diffused lumisol as a security measure(it hides whats underneath).

my female tort lays three clutches of eggs right under the lamp so is very obliging, it all seems to work for me!
the pre alpin was measured out at the start but now i just guess and squeeze out the excess water,they all scoff it.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #9
Daryn
Hatchling

What power rating or them security lamps, I bought one a while back when we were discussing alternative basking lamps on TT. Not used it didnt seem as hot as the other one I use

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Thanks for the photos and info about the electrics. Really useful stuff.

Daryn it says above that the lamps are 100 watt but I'd guess that on the dimmer they would normally be running at less than full blast.

I have one of those lamps but not used it yet. They can be had for a really good price and are actually designed to be used outside unlike most halogen lamps and holders.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 12-06-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote