Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Anyfoot
Incubating

Default How I built my indoor tortoise bath.

Thought I'd show you how I built my tort bath. This version was a bit more complex because I built a pump into it and the floor of the building slopes to 2 drainage points. However you could easily build one in any garden, just start with a hole in the ground so the bath ends up at ground level, you don't need the weir or pump system, just a pool, brush the water out from time to time and refill for clean water. You don't even need to paint it, just add some latex sealant to the cement mix to make it waterproof.
Every tort should have somewhere it can self bathe,drink and hydrate IMO.

So basically I built a raised frame from breeze blocks and house bricks, filled the middle with any old rubble, then a layer of sand, then I formed the baths shape with chicken wire. Then sculptured the bath with cement, let it harden off, add the weir. I've painted it with pond paint.
You can see where I had to do some final adjustment because it wasn't perfectly level.
To get the cement relatively smooth, I just dipped an old sweeping brush head in water and smoothed it into shape.

Last edited by Anyfoot; 14-08-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote