Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 24-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
EJ
Adult

Interesting information and input. I've never heard of that site. The reviews are quite entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess222 View Post
Not sure what for but you're welcome
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #22
EJ
Adult

That's a sobering picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
I've met a couple of men from Internet dating site many years ago, one came all the way from up north for a date with me (mad I know) he booked a hotel, we had a good few pints of Stella, I went to the hotel with him, and by the time I boiled the kettle for a coffee he was snoring his head off on the bed.....didn't even get to the kiss, so I called a cab and went home ha ha ha x
and
Old 24-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #23
Lisamn
Hatchling

A few years ago my friend and I had some amusing times on something called Speed date. It wasn't your usual dating site setup. You basically got thrown randomly into a chatroom with another person and had 1 or 2 minutes to 'talk' to each other (you could also see a pic of them and their name, assuming they'd actually uploaded a pic of themselves and not someone else). If you enjoyed your little chat and wanted to take it further, you had the option of adding them to a contacts list (this only worked if they added you too, otherwise you were rejected) and you could continue contact beyond that time. My friend and I used to have a few glasses of wine and quite a laugh with it (my 13 year long relationship had just ended and I needed a few laughs!).

I did actually end up dating a guy I met on there for a while in the end, not that that had been my intention when I started using it. We didn't meet for real until we'd been speaking for a good couple of months (phone, MSN, Facebook etc) as I was too wary of things like getting murdered, lol. We had some fun together - he was (still is) extremely physically attractive and he certainly helped me get over the demise of my long term relationship, but to be honest there wasn't much substance to him (I don't mean to be cruel about him as he was/is a nice enough guy) and in any case we live a long(ish) way away from each other so meeting up became a bit of a hassle. He's still on my Facebook friends list and we speak occasionally, it all ended amicably.

The friend who used to use Speed date with me has a whole other story though. She asked me to write a profile of her for the Sarah beeny dating site called my single best friend (or something like that). She went on to meet and marry her husband on there and they now live happily with their toddler, Charlie. In fact, I think the pic I have posted of myself on here (on the 'do I know you' thread, wherever that may be now) is of me at their wedding.

So there you go, you can never tell what might happen. Hope you enjoyed my essay on the subject, lol.

Last edited by Lisamn; 24-04-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
EJ
Adult

That is interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamn View Post
A few years ago my friend and I had some amusing times on something called Speed date. It wasn't your usual dating site setup...
So there you go, you can never tell what might happen. Hope you enjoyed my essay on the subject, lol.
and
Old 24-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
Vortex566
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to Vortex566

Interesting read.
Vortex566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
Neddy
Sub Adult

I have a friend who sadly lost her partner to cancer. After a few years she felt ready to date again and started using a website. She had a few dates but nothing really happened.

She then met Brian via the site and he was so kind and a real gentleman to her. After 6 weeks they got engaged and said 'if we are together in a year from now we will get married'.

That was 2 maybe 3 years ago now, and I am please to say they are still happily married.
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #27
yuna1971
Adult

Yes I've used Match.com, Ed. It's where I met my boyfriend from. He lived in the North of England and me in the South. We now live together (I moved up from Brsitol) and are very happy.
xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #28
Lisamn
Hatchling

You're welcome. I guess the up-shot is that some people, man or woman, use them in the hope of finding a long-term meaningful relationship and some just for a bit of fun. I think as long as you're honest with each other about your intentions/expectations then it shouldn't be a problem.
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
Jess222
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamn View Post
You're welcome. I guess the up-shot is that some people, man or woman, use them in the hope of finding a long-term meaningful relationship and some just for a bit of fun. I think as long as you're honest with each other about your intentions/expectations then it shouldn't be a problem.
I agree, if I start chatting with someone usually they ask me or I ask them what they/i are looking for and if they are looking for fun then I wouldn't take it any further

Mom to:

1 beardie - The Beast
3 cats (Bandit, Custard and Honey)

Jess222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #30
emma_mcraf
Adult

I have a few very close friends who have used various sites. Their general consensus was that match.com should be renamed shag.com as so many on there are simply after sex and no relationships. One friend had success with another website and she's in a relationship with a man she met through it. Another professional friend wanted a certain class of man and so met her new husband through the Times dating service. I think she paid a premium for it but she's in a very happy marriage now.
I think there are probably some very genuine people on the dating sites, it's just a case of weeding them out.
It certainly didn't take long until they had all generated 'interest' and were messaging/emailing/phoning potential partners. They didn't feel they could go out and meet people in bars/clubs as they were past that age and there was no one at their workplaces currently suitable or free, so it seemed like a viable option to them and certainly worth a try. It worked.
Whether you're after a long relationship or a casual one, I think it's possible to meet the right person on the dating sites, as long as everyone's open and honest about their intentions.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote