Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
suejells
Egg

Hi Carys, I hope you don't mind me asking but is there any chance at all you could have been offered my missing male Hermanns? You can see his pics on my profile page. He went missing in June when he'd strayed from the garden and was picked up by some chap who passed by. He told a neighbour (a newcomer - didn't know there was a tortoise living just two doors away!) he would take the tortoise to the RSPCA in Wolverhampton as he lived near there, but Lucy has never turned up at the RSPCA , any vets or rescue places in the area despite lots of enquiries and publicity.
Lucy (OK not good at tortoise sexing originally - but he is definitely male!) has been in my family over 50 years - and having your 80 year old you will appreciate how distraught we are about losing him!

Last edited by suejells; 21-08-2011 at 11:51 PM.
suejells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
carys
Egg

Oh, I am so sorry.
The exact same thing happened to my dwarf Hermanns in Hertfordshire about 15 years ago.

I can't check your public profile yet, I get an error message. I think I'm too new.
This tortoise has apparently been in the same family for decades and is on the south coast. He also has papers and is chipped. Once I've been here long enough to be allowed to pm someone, I will send you a photo so you can check.

I really hope you find your tortoise.
If I hear of any other mature tortoises being offered, I will let you know.
carys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
carys
Egg

Well - he wasn't a hermanns.
He has spurs, but looks more like a marginated (flared at the back).
Will post photos in the identification thread later!

I still took him, as he'd had a hole drilled in his shell.

I have a split level garden, so he can live seperately from my hermanns. Will I ever be able to introduce them?
carys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
Steph37
Hatched

I have 2 male hermanns living together in an enclosure (split level, with loads of shrubs and hiding places-part on patio, part on grass-maybe about 10x10ft). They are rarely apart-they sometimes mount (esp in the rain-a real turn on for Hermanns!) and initially, four years ago would clash shells to fight for dominance (dont know if this is possible but dont think there is a dominant one) Occasionally the bonking gets too much! and I separate them but they wont eat etc and always settle down eventually-and now live in 99% harmony, always find them side by side. Dont know if this is unusual, and certainly not something you could do with Horsfields!
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote