Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
burger
Egg

Default mr. indian star v miss herman

my male and female indian star both are over 7 years old now, they are live together inside the house, but always polite and gentle to each other. got a miss herman about 8 years old now, live in another set up in the house.
when the sunshine arrive in my garden, i moved all them to the garden, but something really strange is i though mr indian star still too young for lady,because he never did anything to my female star, but when he see the miss herman seen to be really really interesting of her and try to follow her in the garden all the time and them ........
mounted over and that that .....
it has been few weeks now he still do the same things in garden when he meet miss herman , what do you guy think? miss herman would laying eggs? why he never interest miss star ?
radiated 0.0.3
burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
jonesy
Hatched

You really need to ensure that these two species do not mix together. They both carry bacteria etc that can cause problems for the other species. You will possibly end up with both species having problems. Please seperate them. thanks
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The chances of getting fertile eggs is slim. He's probably interested in the Hermanns because she is bigger than your female Star. How big is your male and female Star?

As has been said it would be a very good idea to keep your Stars seperate from everything else. They stress very easily and that can cause problems with fighting off bacteria they haven't been exposed to before.

Danny

Last edited by egyptiandan64; 02-04-2012 at 08:42 PM.
egyptiandan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
burger
Egg

hi,
my female star is much bigger than the herman, she is nearly 1.7 kg and 20 cm. herman just about 1kg and 17cm. male indian star still small if compare to the female 14cm and ab0ut 800g .

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
The chances of getting fertile eggs is slim. He's probably interested in the Hermanns because she is bigger than your female Star. How big is your male and female Star?

As has been said it would be a very good idea to keep your Stars seperate from everything else. They stress very easily and that can cause problems with fighting off bacteria they haven't been exposed to before.

Danny
radiated 0.0.3
Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
burger
Egg

where's EJ ??? need your opinions please....
radiated 0.0.3
Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

It must just be the fact it's someone new The male is definately adult size, no problems with that Your female is very big, but the male shouldn't have any problem getting the job done. If he isn't paying any attention to the female, you might want to seperate them for a few months and than put them back together. The male might get the idea than.

Danny
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
EJ
Adult

That would be one cool looking tortoise if the Star did cross with the hermanns.

If they are all captive born and raised disease should not be an issue at all. If the Stars were imported the hermanns stands a greater risk of picking up something it is not used to.

As to why one is interested in another... I believe the concept of species is strictly a human concept as far as the tortoise is concerned. The animal could probably care less what it is chasing... hell... I've seen photos of tortoises doing rocks and shoes.

The ms. Star might not be big enough to breed. They seem to somehow know.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

I would suspect your female Hermanns is giving off more female hormones than your Star tortoise female! This does happen with different breeds. The spring is certainly the time for Mediterranean tortoise mating. Like the others have said, you really need to remove the Hermann female, or her shell could become severly damaged by a large Star.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
burger
Egg

thanks danny!
they all will be live in garden from now until oct time than both will stay inside again in the same set up, hope at that time miss star become attractive to mr star.
Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
It must just be the fact it's someone new The male is definately adult size, no problems with that Your female is very big, but the male shouldn't have any problem getting the job done. If he isn't paying any attention to the female, you might want to seperate them for a few months and than put them back together. The male might get the idea than.

Danny
radiated 0.0.3
Old 03-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
burger
Egg

hi EJ!

i don't think there will be any health problem for them, they are all CB and had them since yearly hatchling , and they are always live in same garden in the summer and never had any problem for last 6years.

when mr star mounted ms herman and start to shaking his body i always try to look close, so far still can't see any into it yet, but getting improve if compare with 2 weeks ago, he always got right place now, or he may done it already! who know...

so how big the chance ms herman laying the eggs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
That would be one cool looking tortoise if the Star did cross with the hermanns.

If they are all captive born and raised disease should not be an issue at all. If the Stars were imported the hermanns stands a greater risk of picking up something it is not used to.

As to why one is interested in another... I believe the concept of species is strictly a human concept as far as the tortoise is concerned. The animal could probably care less what it is chasing... hell... I've seen photos of tortoises doing rocks and shoes.

The ms. Star might not be big enough to breed. They seem to somehow know.
radiated 0.0.3