Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 29-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Default Windows 10

I have Windows 8.1 and upgraded to Windows 10 this morning via the free upgrade and immediately ran into problems. AVG anti virus, Photoshop, Adobe Service Manager some other programmes I couldn't figure out all had missing files and error messages appearing on screen. I 'lost' my emails and at least one email account as it comes with yet another different email programme that you have to waste time on setting up. Jeez I'd still be using Outlook Express if it was still available, it was so simple. As it was, I was able to download Windows Live Mail for Windows 8.1 and got used to it even though I preferred OE.
Anyway, you have a month to return to Windows 8.1 or perhaps W8 or W7 but I had to go back to it within an hour.
Had it not been for the errors I would probably have kept it even though I didn't think it was any better than W8.1 really. When I use 8.1 I have it set so that the desktop screen is always on and I don't see any of those 'apps' that are of no interest to me whatsoever. The desktop screen on W10 looks much like the W8.1 screen.
It will probably be okay when it comes on a new computer but nowt to write home about.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

ooh those blooming apps !! loved outlook. miss outlook. I cant even forward emails on. Apparently windows 10 has the start button back ! hallelujah. but wont be going there. thanks for warning.
Old 29-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Yes it has the start button back but I have got used to using that folder kind of as a start button on Windows 8.1. I navigate to everywhere from there. W10 also has the same folder as well as the start button.
It has a web browser called Windows Edge which is really annoying in that the address bar is really a search box rather than a drop down list and seems a bit pointless to me. It also has Internet Explorer too though so you can use either, just the same as W8.1 really in that respect.
With all the hype and people saying it was great and such like I really thought it would be something special but it isn't, not for me at least. In a choice between that and XP I'd have XP
Old 29-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

what about facial recognition to log on ! what if you grew a beard?? what if I grew a beard! CB
Old 29-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Daryn
Hatchling

This computer Im on now had windows 8 from brand new, it lasted 3 weeks and I had it taken off and installed windows 7 it was a nightmare and Im pretty savy with computers.

I actually got windows 7 plus Ubuntu on this computer and love them both. I wont be getting windows 10 Im happy with what I have lol

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

It didn't have facial recognition, it was just the same password as for W8.1 and then you were in.
The face recognition thing must be something you can set up.
I would rather have no password sign in at all just like it used to be, it's just a damned nuisance.
Old 29-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #7
TillyTortoise
Adult

I'm an IT technician and today has been a bit of nightmare, seems your not the only one who doesn't like W10 Alan!
Old 30-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

It might be okay if it worked properly but it wasn't a massive improvement for what I do on computers
Old 30-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
Daryn
Hatchling

Could windows 10 be another white elephant MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
Stellanne
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
what about facial recognition to log on ! what if you grew a beard?? what if I grew a beard! CB
Does this mean anyone who has survived the menopause could find using Windows 10 a problem. We were looking at upgrading it last night but the system was too busy. Maybe we should re think, it is interesting what others think x x x. Hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote