Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #31
Stellanne
Hatchling

That is good information and good to know it is from someone as experienced as yourself Sandy. I get you could look at things from a different direction and say this myth could cause problems as owners would expect (and maybe strive towards) a line of new growth. Thank you for that Sandy x x x hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #32
pagan queen
Adult

In the wild torts would have times when there is plenty of food available and would take full advantage of it. This would cause "rapid growth". At other times there is little food so they grow more slowly. So "rapid growth" is natural.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #33
Stellanne
Hatchling

Yes this is true and well documented. However, true replication of the 'wild' environment is a bit tricky with British weather and it is important to know what to look for that may indicate quick growth. I would suggest that taken the season as a whole, most keepers would feed and so tortoises do not experience a spell of lack of food, nor do they experience such heat they hide away. X x x x. Hugs x x
Old 21-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #34
pagan queen
Adult

My point is, there is nothing wrong with quick growth. It's natural so will not cause pyramiding.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #35
Pussygalore
Adult

our natural growth in this country does have its 'rich' dry/poor seasons the same as everywhere else but more so in the south where its drier late summer. In principle then if your tort had say a garden or large enclosure with nothing other than weeds and old grass it would experince the same as wild torts, ie a few weeks back my son who's in suffolk had brown dry lawns where as us further north had a slight slowing of growth but nothing as dry as in the south. The problem comes when we feel sorry for the torts who seem to have nothing green to eat but if we left them to it they probably would have any problems, and left them to naturally slow and stop eating prior to hibernating. We seem to lack the ability to leave things alone and feel that we can do better which is where we go wrong.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #36
vikki
Hatched

I understand about the rapid growth etc and Daisy puts on a lot of weight if allowed to graze naturally so I guess this could simply be seen as a growth spurt but my concern is that as her shell is already quite bad at what point should I decide that I perhaps need to restrict food or if the husbandry is ok will this be unnecessary despite the amount of weight she is gaining? Herbie is kept in exactly the same conditions and hardly puts any weight on but has a very smooth shell. I just want to try and ensure Daisy does not get any worse because of something I am doing wrong
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #37
Stellanne
Hatchling

I agree absolutely. It wasn't until I needed to collect weeds that I realise there are 'seasons'......like now for example there are very few weeds available now particularly if you are looking for dandelions ....another month and they will be coming through again.
I must admit I do let my torts feed on old dried weeds they haven't looked at because fresh stuff has been available. So our message has to be 'toughen up' and not worry when providing luscious weeds is tricky x x x x hugs x x
Old 22-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #38
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
I agree absolutely. It wasn't until I needed to collect weeds that I realise there are 'seasons'......like now for example there are very few weeds available now particularly if you are looking for dandelions ....another month and they will be coming through again.
I must admit I do let my torts feed on old dried weeds they haven't looked at because fresh stuff has been available. So our message has to be 'toughen up' and not worry when providing luscious weeds is tricky x x x x hugs x x
You have hit the nail on the head!!!
Tortoises dont have lush food all year round, they feed as the seasons pass. Hence they will eat the odd bit of fruit if it falls, not fed on a regular basis. The same with all their eating. They feed well in the Spring when food is plenty, Summer their food is sparce and Autumn a bit of both:0)
And yes most keepers have to treat their tortoises as though they are wild, even though they are in captivitly. Especially when it comes to food:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #39
Kighill
Incubating

I had not heard of Pyramiding until I joined this website. Whilst searching for a Tortoise I nearly made the mistake of making a purchase of some which were quite badly effected with it.
I hope that when I do finally make my purchase that reading such information helps me understand how to prevent this.
Kighill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #40
vikki
Hatched

As far as i know (not being very experienced!!) the actual pyramiding in itself is not necessarily a problem other than cosmetic however if severe it can be an indication of alot of serious underlying problems such as bone disease/organ damage etc
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote