Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 11-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #21
benny89
Egg

Hello, just wanted to inform everyone that Jimmy was put to sleep on Friday. The vet had told me that he had deteriorated since his last visit on Monday and that it was unlikely that he would of made it through the weekend. The vet said that if the Baytril had worked there would of been some sign of improvements, and it would be pointless doing it again. He could barely open his eyes and was lifeless. Would hardly move, and hadn't eaten for almost 5 days. Was an emotional weekend, but I had to think of his welfare and it was heartbreaking to see how he had become. He is in a better place now, and up in little tortoise heaven. Thanks for all the help and wise words from everyone on the forum

Last edited by benny89; 11-01-2015 at 07:46 PM.
benny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #22
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I'm really sorry to hear that Benny. I become very attached to mine too.

In time you might want to think about having a tortoise again and we'll be here if you want to chat about anything.

You did everything you could to look after Jimmy and none of us should ask any more of ourselves than that.

Take care.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #23
veggie86
Incubating

Oh I'm so sorry He was lucky to be so loved by you, even for a short while. RIP little one x

1 husband, 5 dogs, 1 cat.....and Iberas Pickles, Poppy and Pip
veggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #24
fifi and the flowertorts
Hatchling

I am so sorry to hear about your little one. Thoughts are with you. R.I.P little angel
2 cats
2 dogs
4 Kids
and a hubby
fifi and the flowertorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #25
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny89 View Post
Hello, just wanted to inform everyone that Jimmy was put to sleep on Friday. The vet had told me that he had deteriorated since his last visit on Monday and that it was unlikely that he would of made it through the weekend. The vet said that if the Baytril had worked there would of been some sign of improvements, and it would be pointless doing it again. He could barely open his eyes and was lifeless. Would hardly move, and hadn't eaten for almost 5 days. Was an emotional weekend, but I had to think of his welfare and it was heartbreaking to see how he had become. He is in a better place now, and up in little tortoise heaven. Thanks for all the help and wise words from everyone on the forum
I am so sorry to hear that benny, you didn't have him long and he was already ill before you got him, I have lost babies too and was very upset by it, they are so hard to treat successfully and you did everything you could for him, don't let this put you off of owning another tortoise, they are a true joy to keep xxxxxx

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #26
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

So sorry to hear about Benny, I was keeping everything crossed for a good result. By no means an easy decision for you to make, but you did everything possible for the little guy.

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #27
benny89
Egg

Thank you for all the lovely replies. I have a quick question if anyone can help, Whilst there is a possibility in the future I may get another tortoise, is it possible to re-use the table I already have and slate/rocks/logs hides ect. Obviously as he was sick I would need to sterilise everything. Would this just be done by part bleach/water, boiling for 30 mins and baking wood ect in the oven? I have disinfectant for the actual table too. Thanks again
Old 12-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #28
Suze65
Adult

I'm so sorry for your loss, baby torts are very hard to treat, I don't think you could have done any more, R.I.P little one

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #29
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny89 View Post
Thank you for all the lovely replies. I have a quick question if anyone can help, Whilst there is a possibility in the future I may get another tortoise, is it possible to re-use the table I already have and slate/rocks/logs hides ect. Obviously as he was sick I would need to sterilise everything. Would this just be done by part bleach/water, boiling for 30 mins and baking wood ect in the oven? I have disinfectant for the actual table too. Thanks again
There are lots of disinfectants you can use just to be sure. But using the table again will be fine.
I suggest you get a tortoise from a private recommended breeder, most will then give you after care advice too:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #30
benny89
Egg

Yup, if I do decide to get another, I have learnt the hard way, and will be sure to find a breeder I feel comfortable with and someone who knows their stuff!