Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Laura&Bud
Egg

Default My marginated tortoise

Hi everyone.

I've only posted a couple of times. Glad I found this forum though as I really could do with knowing where to come when I need advice about him.

My marginated tortoise is 10 months old. Currently I am typing this in the garden with him next to me getting some natural UV (our first time out here together lol )

I don't know of many people with marginated tortoises so thought I'd post here.

Currently, he has a wood chip and soil mix (pets at home) and fresh water daily. He also has his UV light and heat light fixed to his tortoise table.

He has a log to climb on too which he loves however just seems to chuck himself off of it when he's had enough. Lazy soul he is sometimes.

I've had him since he was 4 months old and food wise I've always given him fresh foods such as salads, weeds and dried weeds I also have reptavite for him. Should I be doing anything else?

I've heard about Limestone Flour from this forum but never seen it on sale anywhere.

Any help is appreciated. I'll post some pics of my baby when I get on my laptop later.
Laura&Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura&Bud View Post
Hi everyone.

I've only posted a couple of times. Glad I found this forum though as I really could do with knowing where to come when I need advice about him.

My marginated tortoise is 10 months old. Currently I am typing this in the garden with him next to me getting some natural UV (our first time out here together lol )

I don't know of many people with marginated tortoises so thought I'd post here.

Currently, he has a wood chip and soil mix (pets at home) and fresh water daily. He also has his UV light and heat light fixed to his tortoise table.

He has a log to climb on too which he loves however just seems to chuck himself off of it when he's had enough. Lazy soul he is sometimes.

I've had him since he was 4 months old and food wise I've always given him fresh foods such as salads, weeds and dried weeds I also have reptavite for him. Should I be doing anything else?

I've heard about Limestone Flour from this forum but never seen it on sale anywhere.

Any help is appreciated. I'll post some pics of my baby when I get on my laptop later.
Hi Laura Hope you had a bit more sun than we did in South Wales today Florette salad and romaine lettuce are useful when weeds are a bit scarce, notice from another thread that you have the link to the Tortoise Table - great resource for identifying your weeds Easy ones to look out for - dandelion, ribbed plantain, broad leaf plantain, jack by the hedge - all popping up now. Worth checking out plants you can grow too! Notice your substrate is soil and woodchip? Strongly advise to remove any woodchip - it can cause problems if eaten He needs a piece of cuttlefish in his pen and limestone flour sprinkled over food. Especially important as he is young and growing to help with shell condition. Many replace the limestone flour with Nutrobal once a week - mine refuse to eat anything with it on Have a look on the Shelked Warrior shop, or, you can also find it on Ebay Hope that helps

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
Laura&Bud
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelylayla View Post
Hi Laura Hope you had a bit more sun than we did in South Wales today Florette salad and romaine lettuce are useful when weeds are a bit scarce, notice from another thread that you have the link to the Tortoise Table - great resource for identifying your weeds Easy ones to look out for - dandelion, ribbed plantain, broad leaf plantain, jack by the hedge - all popping up now. Worth checking out plants you can grow too! Notice your substrate is soil and woodchip? Strongly advise to remove any woodchip - it can cause problems if eaten He needs a piece of cuttlefish in his pen and limestone flour sprinkled over food. Especially important as he is young and growing to help with shell condition. Many replace the limestone flour with Nutrobal once a week - mine refuse to eat anything with it on Have a look on the Shelked Warrior shop, or, you can also find it on Ebay Hope that helps
What can I use instead of wood chip ? I had all soil in there a month back and he didn't like it much. Spent lots of time on the log and his water was so dirty all the time and because when I am at work there is nobody here to change it I thought I'd go back to the wood chip. I'm happy to change it to something a bit better for him.
Laura&Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
becciwales
Adult

I think they like dirty water, as soon as I clean it, mine walk straight through it
Soil or coco coir is definitely best for them! xx

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Hi Laura, margies grow very big, so in my opinion are quite a challenge to grow with a smooth shell. Keep him well hydrated with daily baths and available water.
Soil and coco coir are a good mix, it's very important to keep this moist, so when he digs down and Burris himself he creates a humid micro climate. And as Lynne has said supplements are very important , he will have a big shell eventually and needs good strong bones to support it. I give limestone flour every day and nutrobal 3 times a week. Would love to see a pic of him.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote