Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 23-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
Egg

Default Hatchling with a tear in yolk sac

Hi! We got two new babies yesterday. They're early arrivals, barely 7 months in the incubator (usually they take about 8 months). One of them is pretty feisty, but he cant move well 'cause of the huge yolk sac. However, the other one broke apart the top half of his egg shell trying to get out of it, and then it stopped trying. Turns out, his sac broke.
Any tips on how to hadle this?
001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 001 View Post
Hi! We got two new babies yesterday. They're early arrivals, barely 7 months in the incubator (usually they take about 8 months). One of them is pretty feisty, but he cant move well 'cause of the huge yolk sac. However, the other one broke apart the top half of his egg shell trying to get out of it, and then it stopped trying. Turns out, his sac broke.
Any tips on how to hadle this?
What species?
Where is the egg sac torn, white or yolk?
If it were mine I would leave the hatchling and egg in the incubator to see if the hatchling can absorb the sac:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
Egg

Oops, sorry. I forgot to clarify. They are Chacos. @Sandy: Its definitely not a tear in the white. He's back in the incubator. How do I make sure he stays hydrated there? How can we prevent mold/fungus from forming?
I'm really worried for the little guy.
Old 23-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

I would get a small tupperware plastic container. Make a circle from dampened rolled kitchen roll, circle in the middle (think of a donut) pop baby in it, in centre of donut, sac in well in the middle. Pop a sheet of kitchen roll over the top & spray well. Respray every few hours throughout the day as they do dry out. Your hatchlings wont dehydrate in a high humidity incubator. Please don't keep looking at him as this encourages movement and you want him to be sat quietly, unstartled absorbing his yolk sac rather than risk further damage.

Best of luck x

Last edited by burnt toast; 23-11-2020 at 08:43 PM.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
I would get a small tupperware plastic container. Make a circle from dampened rolled kitchen roll, circle in the middle (think of a donut) pop baby in it, in centre of donut, sac in well in the middle. Pop a sheet of kitchen roll over the top & spray well. Respray every few hours throughout the day as they do dry out. Your hatchlings wont dehydrate in a high humidity incubator. Please don't keep looking at him as this encourages movement and you want him to be sat quietly, unstartled absorbing his yolk sac rather than risk further damage.

Best of luck x
Adding to this I would use Vaseline in the kitchen roll to help stop infections. Good advice above:0)

Old 24-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Egg

Update: One of the torts is getting noticeably better. But the one with the torn sac is smelling weird. Not rot smell yet but its heading there for sure. I dont think he's gonna make it.
Old 25-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Update: One of the torts is getting noticeably better. But the one with the torn sac is smelling weird. Not rot smell yet but its heading there for sure. I dont think he's gonna make it.

Im sorry to hear this. I hope your other makes it x
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 01:43 AM   #8
Egg

They didn't make it. I dont know what happened, I just checked the humidity and temp logs for and they were fine trough the whole incubation period. Same values as I always use. But still, they hatched sooner that usual, and they were really small. :-S

Hopefully the next ones to hatch will be ok.
Old 27-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
They didn't make it. I dont know what happened, I just checked the humidity and temp logs for and they were fine trough the whole incubation period. Same values as I always use. But still, they hatched sooner that usual, and they were really small. :-S

Hopefully the next ones to hatch will be ok.
Sorry to hear:0(
But if it happens again you need something around the sac to stop infection, Vaseline can help, as I have used this with hatchlings with large egg sacs. It does happen. Its all a learning curve. Having a tortoise first aid kit is useful if you continue breeding. Vaseline, scissors, some sort of dilutable disinfectant like F10 or triagene. kitchen roll and a water dropper.
If the hatchling needs water then dropping water over the mouth area can help.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

So sorry to read this. I really hope the advice given won’t be needed next time but it’s always good to know. Lots of luck for a future successful clutch.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote