Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 22-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
GemJam
Incubating

Default Permanent outdoor housing

Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I have a 6 year old Hermanns who I've had since a baby. I've always kept her inside during the colder months and hibernated in a fridge, but she is outside (day and night) when it is lovely and warm. The outside enclosure is 9ft square with access to a portion of my greenhouse, with a thermostat and heat lamp.

This year I would like to keep her outside 365 days 24/7. What are your top tips to make this transition (for me and my tort, Hettie)?

I have a deep container that I was thinking I could fill with soil and set my thermostat to a lower temp for hibernation. Would this be sufficient? What temp should I set the lamp to? Is there a better alternative than this solution?

What is best for the colder months when she is still awake?

Thanks, Gemma

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemJam View Post

I have a 6 year old Hermanns who I've had since a baby. I've always kept her inside during the colder months and hibernated in a fridge, but she is outside (day and night) when it is lovely and warm. The outside enclosure is 9ft square with access to a portion of my greenhouse, with a thermostat and heat lamp.

This year I would like to keep her outside 365 days 24/7. What are your top tips to make this transition (for me and my tort, Hettie)?

I have a deep container that I was thinking I could fill with soil and set my thermostat to a lower temp for hibernation. Would this be sufficient? What temp should I set the lamp to? Is there a better alternative than this solution?

Thanks, Gemma
If you have heat in the GH, and soil, you can let her dig naturally into the soil for hibernation. As long as there is heat if temps drop below 5c. I have been hibernating my ibera this way for over 25ys and its far better for them:0)
If you were really worried, you could dig out soil put in a large tub, fill it with soil and let him/her bury down into it:0) Temperatures usually stay stable under ground, rather than above:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

Hi Gemma, how lovely to hear from you. Yes try not to overthink it as it can be a bit worrysome. My little Horsfield creep hibernate naturally in the GH without any heat at all. I keep an eye on temps but generally as Sandy says if dug down the earth is warmer. Its the wet that kills not generally the cold (subject to fortitude temps ). They all come out at same time in springtime, and not had heat in the GH for 25years. they have never been under lamps either as we didn't have so much knowledge back then. It gets to 52 in summer also... sometimes with a little help and monitoring you have to trust they do the right thing. with a watchful eye...
Old 03-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemJam View Post

Thanks, Gemma
The tub of soil in the greenhouse is what I use. I surround it with insulation after they have gone down. I have better pictures somewhere other than what's in this thread but it still shows the tub of topsoil and some of the insulation if you click on the links to the images http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=74734 I will have a look for other photos
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I also wrap around a couple of those foam exercise/yoga mats first then a hot water tank jacket. Then the insulation blocks that you can see in one of those images and duvets over the top. I have a wireless temperature+humidity measurer dangling from the inside of the lid of the tub with the readings displayed on the device in my house.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote