Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 25-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #1
Laura1412
Egg

Default My Clyde

https://youtu.be/aRjYvZoZBwccan some one please help me why my Clyde as started making this hissing/whistling noise that u can hear on the video I'm really worried about it
Laura1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

Laura I think its fine. One of your other videos shows a much more relaxed Clyde. What you may be hearing is a disturbed tortoise trying to work out his surroundings.. .ie on a fluffy towel . he is sniffing and trying to understand it all. I think on grass or natural habitat he would be fine. The legs move in and out to expand the lungs so this excessive movement creates whistling and huffing which is understandable if he doesn't know whats going on. Hope this helps. best keep him as natural as possible ,CB
Old 25-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #3
Laura1412
Egg

Thanks cherrybrandy I'm at my wits with it all his eyes are really watery his nose is dry but sounds like he's got snot up there if that make sense coz can keep hearing like a bunged up noise and he's sneezing lots I was wondering if to try him in nebuliser but I think iv got to wrong f10 mine says vetenary disenfectant not the antiseptic solution am I right cherrybrandy
Old 02-08-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think if the vet gave him all clear he is probably fine and I know with your PM ive answered today you are doing everything ok. If you are really worried then take him to another expert in tortoises for 2nd opinion but if he isn't losing weight and husbandry ok, environment ok, and eating then I think Clyde is ok. The f10 is disinfectant but used a lower levels makes a good solution to nebulise. I wouldn't recommend nebulising if you are not sure there is a problem as it can be stressful for the tortoise and if you aren't sure what you are doing stressful for you to !! I would take him to a society near by and see what they think to put your mind at rest or recommend a course of action , CB
Old 02-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #5
Laura1412
Egg

Well I took him yesterday to the vet for a check up as he is sneezing a lot but more so wen burrowing down in his hide the vets says he's great he's put on weight since he last seen him but advised I change my substrate as he said it's causing irritation to Clyde that's what's causing the sneezing coz wen he's walking arounfthe enclosure hessneezing a bit also so I'm in the middle of putting in just top soilthe vets advice I put it in the hide already the top soil holds shape wen I squeeze it but water don't run out will this be ok for him n not too wet also he advicediput indifferent substrate for clyde to walk on so what is the shingle u use please and dourtorts sneeze after burrowing xx
Old 02-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

just like beach shingle but bought from local supplier - no mine don't sneeze and in a micro climate which suits horsfields. dry soil of any type heated up and indoors can be dry. humidity indoors is around 50% lower than outside so even humans get dryeyes etc. I think try and get a balance with the substrate , try natural as can be, CB
Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #7
Laura1412
Egg

Thank cb I'm sorry to keep troubling u I'm just trying so hard to get my clydes box right what do u think could cause the sneezing wen he's burrowing in his hide box the vet said substrate so iv outed mine which was a tortoise bedding by lucky reptile said it was peat but was loose on the top so I changed now to top soil but it's not loose any more it's holding together if I squeeze it so it's not loose now I'll keep the bathing up and the substrate not dry n hope the sneezing goes
Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes sure it will be fine. it could be substrate is ok but irritation already inflamed sinuses so may take a few days to go or can have it continually and if no ill effects I wouldn't worry too much as per other posts, CB