Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 21-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Dandelion
Hatched

Exclamation Crazy growing/spreading plants

Hi! I want to grow plants that are nutritious for tortoises, but that grow and spread like crazy in even harsh conditions. I know all mint plants fit this description but torts don't really like it that much, so I'd love to hear your recommendations! I want the whole place to be filled with resilient plants all year round!
Thank you so much!!!
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Hi! I want to grow plants that are nutritious for tortoises, but that grow and spread like crazy in even harsh conditions. I know all mint plants fit this description but torts don't really like it that much, so I'd love to hear your recommendations! I want the whole place to be filled with resilient plants all year round!
Thank you so much!!!
Lol if you find one I would like to know it too.
As tortoises will eat any plants that they like to the ground. Its better to have an area or two areas, where plants have a chance to grow again, where tortoises can graze naturally.
I have one area that my tortoises are not allowed to go into, so I have at least one plant or two that I have when plants are short. This is campanula, the leaves are there all year round, and they flower in the Spring, and spasmodically through the year. Other than that, I grow all the normal weeds.
Sowing in the Autumn, so when the torts go outside 24/7 they have a good start to the year. Growing weeds in pots, so they self seed helps too.
Having shrubs like hibiscus, tree mallows also helps.
You need to grow seaonal plants through out the year, to give variety.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Yes I think your wishlist is a bit long! Some plants that might fit your bill to some extent can become a terrible nuisance e.g. ground elder. This is tort edible but they only like the fresh young shoots in the spring. Most people wouldn't plant this in a garden but it will grow in harsh conditions.

Nasturtians are good for spreading themselves about and are also pretty, but they won't grow outside the warmer parts of the year.

Sow thistle is a good one - there are a few sorts including at least one that has spreading roots and will colonise an area quickly. But after about November you won't see it again until April.

I think in the UK its impossible to always have tortoise food plants growing, but between march and November there are a large number that will do well.

I always recommend cat's ear and chicory. They are both weeds but not a pest, look good and are healthy tortoise foods.
Old 22-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Dandelion
Hatched

Thank you for the wonderful recommendations Sandy and Jonathan!!! Hopefully they'll last more than the grass!
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

What about "bee balm"/ wild bergamot or lemon balm?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Laura1988
Incubating

Chickweed seems to spread itself around I planted it in one pot last year and ive found it growing in different areas too
Old 22-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

I agree with nasturtiums. They are so simple to grow from seed and very quick to grow too. They spread well and have beautiful bright flowers too. I grow them in my dedicated 'weed patch' each year along with vetch (also spreads nicely) and plenty of other weeds.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote