Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 27-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Daryn
Hatchling

Default RIP Terri the Torte

Hello everyone, not been on for years but thought I would come on today to let you know Terri the tortoise was put to sleep today at the vets.

Basically this morning I checked on her and she had another prolapse, I took her to the reptile vet at Morpeth, the same vet that operated on her the last time, they said the op could cost around £500, I signed my life away and said no matter what the cost try to repair the damage. About an hour ago the vet phoned me to say that this time the tissue damage was so severe that he thought it best to put her to sleep and not make her suffer any longer. She was in a right old mess, much worse than before yet she was eating like a horse yesterday, bathed every day since hibernation and very active. We are all very upset.

We had Terri for about 6 years after rehoming her from a lady that fed her on cat food of all stuff. I give her as much of a natural life as I possibly could, hibernated her successfully and basically kept following up on all the new advice from this site as well as other sites. I helped relocate/ rehome another two tortoises to two other people that are now good friends of mine and used my building skills to help others out and give information as best as I could, these tortes are still doing very well and Im proud of that, I still go to the peoples homes to help prepare them for hibernation every year.

Thats it though I couldnt go through that again, for now anyway I have no plans of rehoming another one. What I would like to see is a total ban on these amazing beasts being sold. I believe alot of people buy them then get bored or dont do their homework and learn how to look after them properly, rehoming is the best thing people can do and I dont mean that to sound horrible towards breeders its just my opinion, no one knows beyond doubt that a keeper will love these animals for life as life can mean a very along time.

Terri had metabolic bone disease because of her poor diet and habitat conditions that she had from the first owner who had her from a hatchling, she was totally deformed but seemed so healthy and active, constantly looking for food.

I hope in my little way through the few posts I made in the past that others have benefited as I did reading through posts from others. Education is the only way to make sure tortoises have a good life.

Hope everyone is doing well and good luck for the future.

Daryn

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
Hello everyone, not been on for years but thought I would come on today to let you know Terri the tortoise was put to sleep today at the vets.

Basically this morning I checked on her and she had another prolapse, I took her to the reptile vet at Morpeth, the same vet that operated on her the last time, they said the op could cost around £500, I signed my life away and said no matter what the cost try to repair the damage. About an hour ago the vet phoned me to say that this time the tissue damage was so severe that he thought it best to put her to sleep and not make her suffer any longer. She was in a right old mess, much worse than before yet she was eating like a horse yesterday, bathed every day since hibernation and very active. We are all very upset.

We had Terri for about 6 years after rehoming her from a lady that fed her on cat food of all stuff. I give her as much of a natural life as I possibly could, hibernated her successfully and basically kept following up on all the new advice from this site as well as other sites. I helped relocate/ rehome another two tortoises to two other people that are now good friends of mine and used my building skills to help others out and give information as best as I could, these tortes are still doing very well and Im proud of that, I still go to the peoples homes to help prepare them for hibernation every year.

Thats it though I couldnt go through that again, for now anyway I have no plans of rehoming another one. What I would like to see is a total ban on these amazing beasts being sold. I believe alot of people buy them then get bored or dont do their homework and learn how to look after them properly, rehoming is the best thing people can do and I dont mean that to sound horrible towards breeders its just my opinion, no one knows beyond doubt that a keeper will love these animals for life as life can mean a very along time.

Terri had metabolic bone disease because of her poor diet and habitat conditions that she had from the first owner who had her from a hatchling, she was totally deformed but seemed so healthy and active, constantly looking for food.

I hope in my little way through the few posts I made in the past that others have benefited as I did reading through posts from others. Education is the only way to make sure tortoises have a good life.

Hope everyone is doing well and good luck for the future.

Daryn
Really sorry to hear your sad news and maybe in time you might feel like taking on another tortoise in need of a home.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

This is such sad news to read, Daryn. I’m sorry for your loss but at least Terri received good care for the last years of her life.

I have rehomed a number of times and find it most rewarding. I understand your views on people not researching correct husbandry before buying and it is heartbreaking and frustrating, but the same can be said of many animals. You made a difference by rehoming and I hope, as Mary says, that you’ll feel able to do so again in time.

RIP Terri. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Sorry you lost your tortoise friend Daryn but don't give up you gave her six years of good life which she probably wouldn't of had.
It's very very hard when you take on rehomed as I have found out a few times and just recently I had one that was in such a bad way I had it put to sleep which I find so sad and frustrating as there is no excuse with all the information out there now.
But it will not put me off and I'm sure it will happen again but the way I look at it if we help as many of these neglected tortoises and maybe only save one then we have done something good.

RIP Terri
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Daryn, lovely to hear from an old SW friend but sad circumstances. Terri had such a wonderful life with you and I do think once the hurt passes a little you will see that you can give another one a home. It is painful those feelings right now but you are such a good person and learnt a lot and you have a good sense of what's right and wrong with the Torts, and those buildings...the passion...! that can not be left to educated the new TK alone. There are thousands out there need a little fellow like you !!! Emma and I always paint up stones and strangely that does help a little.....don't be a stranger ,CB.
Old 28-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
Daryn
Hatchling

Thanks for all the kind words, no doubt I will pop on every now and then to see whats going on.

Daryn

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #7
Jan W
Sub Adult

I was so sorry to read your thread.

She was very lucky to have you looking after her. What a lovely life you gave her. She couldn't have asked for more.