Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 02-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
AbeetheRound
Egg

Default Wooden tortoise table Help!

Hi

I have my two young adult torts in a wooden table, it’s very sturdy and easy to set up. They seem very happy in there.

However, I have noticed something since setting up and putting my torts in... noise!!! They are constantly trying to climb up the side of the table and the noise of their little claws scraping the wood goes straight through me! The only thing that stops them doing it is throwing food in and this is only temporary whilst they eat. Has anyone else had this problem? I am intending to put more substrate in there this weekend after reading through a few more posts, but I’m worried with the increased depth, they will be closer to the uv strip installed under the hatch of the table and heat light which I have on a stand over it. What are your thoughts? Could it be more than just a few home improvements, do you think maybe my torts are bored?

Any thoughts appreciated, the noise is driving me mad!

Abee 😊
AbeetheRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

What size are your torts and how big is the table, have you considered that it's not big enough. If this is the case I doubt putting more thing in will help.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
tortydat
Sub Adult

If they are adults of a hibernating species have you not considered hibernating them otherwise I don't think there is an answer!
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeetheRound View Post
Hi

I have my two young adult torts in a wooden table, it’s very sturdy and easy to set up. They seem very happy in there.

However, I have noticed something since setting up and putting my torts in... noise!!! They are constantly trying to climb up the side of the table and the noise of their little claws scraping the wood goes straight through me! The only thing that stops them doing it is throwing food in and this is only temporary whilst they eat. Has anyone else had this problem? I am intending to put more substrate in there this weekend after reading through a few more posts, but I’m worried with the increased depth, they will be closer to the uv strip installed under the hatch of the table and heat light which I have on a stand over it. What are your thoughts? Could it be more than just a few home improvements, do you think maybe my torts are bored?

Any thoughts appreciated, the noise is driving me mad!

Abee 😊
Suze and Mary have replied some answers:0)
My thoughts are that the enclosure could be too small for two tortoises.
Or the table is far too hot or cold.
Heat should be at one end of the table, with the housing at the other end. So they have a choice to bask or sleep in temps they want too.
Temperature under the heat should be around 32c, with temps of around 25c the other end. Remembering that room temperature can affect both if you dont keep an eye on it:0)
They generally try and dig in around dusk when light levels drop and they want to sleep.
All my tortoises are now in hibernation, and yours could be telling you its time to do the same:0)
A little more info or a picture can help us to help you:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
AbeetheRound
Egg

Thanks for the advice guys.

They have been doing this since I had the table about 12 months ago, I don’t think it’s a hibernation issue. They’re 9 this year, I haven’t hibernated them due to always being inside in a controlled environment, plus I don’t feel confident enough to do it. Anyway, that’s a different topic for a different thread.

The temp is set to 32 at one end and there is a covered end in case they want to go in there. The room they are in stays at a pretty constant temperature overall.

I think it could be a size issue, however it is bigger than their old table. What size table would you recommend for 2 horsfields?
Old 03-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Horsfields are crazy little things. 9 years old probably , 7 foot by 3ft. outside area probably 12 ft by 2ft or squared. lots to do. Horsfields love to explore and scratch. Itchy and scratchy will need lots of depth but the noise will drive you mad ! try cooler so they are a little less active and no digging all the time. My Horsfields are not Marilyn monroes - don't like hot. 26 - 29 is adequate, plenty of depth and a little house so that its dark for them - if they have something over their shell they feel like they are in a safe cave so try some newpaper touching their shell - turn lights off by 4 oclock and they will be asleep by 6 ish. peace ! if they are scurrying around at night - its too light - in the table place some newspaper over their table and make it dark. so sweet ! CB
Old 05-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
AbeetheRound
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Horsfields are crazy little things. 9 years old probably , 7 foot by 3ft. outside area probably 12 ft by 2ft or squared. lots to do. Horsfields love to explore and scratch. Itchy and scratchy will need lots of depth but the noise will drive you mad ! try cooler so they are a little less active and no digging all the time. My Horsfields are not Marilyn monroes - don't like hot. 26 - 29 is adequate, plenty of depth and a little house so that its dark for them - if they have something over their shell they feel like they are in a safe cave so try some newpaper touching their shell - turn lights off by 4 oclock and they will be asleep by 6 ish. peace ! if they are scurrying around at night - its too light - in the table place some newspaper over their table and make it dark. so sweet ! CB
Thank you Cherry, yes, I think the table maybe a bit small by the sound of it, I wonder if the other half can work on an extension 🤔! I have turned the temp down over the last few days actually and noticed a little difference. The newspaper sounds like a great idea, most of the scratching goes on in the dark area so may just do the trick, thank you!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
Jan W
Sub Adult

Before mine lived outside and it was too cold to go out I used to let them walk round the utility room and kitchen - under supervision. As soon as they went off to find a dark corner I would put them back in their table.

Not everyone would agree with me though!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #9
AbeetheRound
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
Before mine lived outside and it was too cold to go out I used to let them walk round the utility room and kitchen - under supervision. As soon as they went off to find a dark corner I would put them back in their table.

Not everyone would agree with me though!

I have done similar before, however we a very curious Dog now which limits the tortoises time to roam around like they used to. I’ve just put a load of newspaper in the table, what was the first thing they do?! Try and eat it of course, hopefully they realise pretty quick it doesn’t taste as good as dandelion!