Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 27-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #31
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any longer term experience with the Lumisol clear? I've just brought some with the aim or covering a tortoise pen and a turtle pond with the aim of extending the season a bit. I saw the TT article on this and the temperature gains were good, 10c + increases but all the readings were early spring with nothing for the other end of the year. I'm wondering how dependent on direct or partial sun this stuff is to make a big temperature difference. So if anyone does have any late season/ winter temperature recodings using lumisol it would be appreciated.
Last year mine were still under it in December but we'd had no frost and I checked forecasts daily. I can't remember the temps but never near to freezing. I had the weather station sensor under there. I also had thermal bricks round the enclosure at that end. I got really wet eventually and the ground everywhere was waterlogged. They had dug down but kept popping up now and again. I brought them in to a cold room where they semi-hibernated and came to life in spring.

See here http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=73849

Last edited by Alan1; 27-09-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 12:34 AM   #32
Kirkie
Adult

Thanks for this. I've had the Lumisol clear in place since the weekend and have been checking temperatures. The weathers all over the place here but in direct sun there was a 10c+ increase. At 8am this morning it was 5C higher than the outside temperature (no dirct sun) and tonight around 7:30 it was still 17c, its quite warn tonight though.

My idea is much like yours in the other thread, to keep them out there all winter. I've dug down under their main shelter and filled it with looser soil with sand so they can dig down.

I've also got twin wall polycarb sheets that cover the whole enclosure and as UVB dips in winter I'll use those as I've had sucess with outdoor hibernation before.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #33
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

had it not been for the horrendous wet weather last year then they could maybe have stayed out the whole winter but in saying that, had it not been wet it may have been clear skies and frost. it was very mild just before Christmas I remember, there have been colder days this summer than that.
For this year's spring/summer I put them back outside much earlier than usual and covered a second section of the frame with the lumisol and the weeds grew really rapidly under it. the torts were content to mostly hang around under the covered areas all summer but it has not been a warm one. they were warm in there and very active
Old 29-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #34
CherryBrandy
Adult

Is it warmer than a greenhouse, or cloche are we saying or just an alternative to that.
I always thought it was just the bonus of letting UVB and A unlike a cloche or greenhouse.
I suppose it is much more versatile and I probably don't use it to its optimum, CB
Old 29-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #35
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Is it warmer than a greenhouse, or cloche are we saying or just an alternative to that.
I always thought it was just the bonus of letting UVB and A unlike a cloche or greenhouse.
I suppose it is much more versatile and I probably don't use it to its optimum, CB
Just an alternative I'd say but it was really warm under it probably because it was quite a low ceiling of about 14 inches high so heated up quite quickly in there. The greenhouse does too but the heat goes away above the torts