Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 03-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to lilacgeorge

its totally harmless to all other animals and children, its a totally natural product and in fact it was recommended on here by someone last year, and I have to say my garden is 'infested' with them for some strange reason - last year I must have gone through a ton of salt lol!!!!

2.1.2 ~ THB

Frank ~ Tallulah ~ Grace ~ Archie ~ Teefa ~ Mollie

0.0.1 Bearded Dragon ~ Freckles

lilacgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #12
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

i ahve mentioned this before and i do this with all the plants that i grow on the allotoment. i pour beer in a certain place and the snails will pick up the smell and go to it and gorge them selfs on it. a bucket of cheap beer, or even a soucer will work. place it somewhere out of reach of the tort...nothing worse than a p**sed tortoise lol, then the slugs and snails will travel to it and drink, this will not kill them but just give them a boost of yeast. then when there are loads in it you can do as you will....release them somewhere or kill them. i remember another product that was animal friendly and would not kill your cat,dogs,birds etc.....but a few weeks later over 40 frogs were found dead as the porduct reacted differently in amphibians.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
tortoiseboy
Sub Adult

You monster!! lol
Alot of theese products say pet freindly but...
tortoiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #14
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

these go into the ground and attack the slugs and Im doing it this week and so the soil will have a few weeks min before the torts go in it... still gotta finish the enclosure...

Tried the beer one - it kills them... but I didn't like having to clear up lots of bloated dead slugs! Besides I had that many, they were overflowing the beer - and the old man was none to happy about me using all his beer!!!! LOL!!! (He could've slurped out the saucer.... )

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 03-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #15
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

monster lol....i never used this product....it was in a magazine,, i use only natural things such as helping frogs breed from the ponds to eat them, same goes for greenfly and such as i add ladybirds to lessen them.

your surpose to use weak cheap beer, these animals live off stuff that has similar ingeiants that are in beer and thats whyt here attracted to it. i have been doing this for 5 years since owning an allotment and never found any dead.....they should not be floating in beer, if they float at all then you have used far too much beer.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #16
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

Bovvered??? Not my beer!!! as long as they dont develop a taste for Jack Daniels I dont care! (call me selfish..... )#

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 03-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

i hate that program lol, but ur right i surpose.....

nothing selfish about jack daniels
Old 07-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
rupert
Egg

Thanks everybody for your thoughts on slugs. It boils down to beer, boxies (whatever that means) or the nematode product. Having read the manufacturer's blurb, this sounds great so I'll invest in £10's worth and use it before the tort is let out.

Regards,
Old 07-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #19
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

I was hoping to use the nemaslug today but its raining so may put it of till next week, but have to do it soon as next weekend I'm hitting the garden centre for plants!!! So need to get rid of the little blighters before then! Sorry if it sounds inhumain but what purpose do slugs serve.......? mmmm, thought so! All they do is come into my garden and eat all my plants & weeds! I've tried to be nice using copper tape, they seem to just grit their teeth and slide over that! Tried pellets, obviously these are unsafe to use near torts so no good in enclosure, also tried beer - but apparently needs to be changed everyday cos summit to do with the smell and that it doesn't work after a day or two - an expensive way to get rid of them I say! Also tried salt - again no good in enclosure... So NEMASLUG it is!!!!! I've heard brilliant things about it and npo-where does it say that it is harmfull to Torts. They are little micro-organisim thing's that go down under the soil and attack only slugs.

I'll let you know if I notice any difference......

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #20
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

So do I and I have to say it gives me great satisfaction getting rid of them!!! I was like a women possessed last year! I would get up at 5.30/6 am to get them just as they were tucking in to my beloved weeds and flowers/plants, I'd collect them all into a empty flowerpot then sprinkle salt onto them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oops soory getting carried away there......

2.1.2 ~ THB