Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
bradley g
Egg

Post I am worried

i recently got two horsefield tortoises which are under a year old, they are in a tank but don't have a source of UV but have a basking spot lamp. i feed them fresh food with powder on and give them pellets as well (which they love). They have tortoise terrain at the bottom around 5cm deep, a water bowl and a hut to hide in. I recently posted on here and in the next few weeks i am going to build a table for them (would of sooner but the pet shop owner said it was bad for young tortoises).
I have read on other threads and the temperatures inside are all constant and good according to what others say.

Now to the issues, they just seem to want to sleep, they do occasionally walk around but if left to it they stay in the same place. but when given a nudge they are off and walking around like their is no tomorrow. one of them seems to get a sore eye here and there so i bath him and sprinkle a bit of water which makes it ok, so im thinking maybe its the terrain that they are walking on. And last i have never seen them drink apart from when i bath them, they have a water dish which is large and shallow which is unused, i just want to know if this is normal and will they be ok. I give them alot of fresh food which will help to hydrate them.
thanks.
bradley g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley g View Post
i recently got two horsefield tortoises which are under a year old, they are in a tank but don't have a source of UV but have a basking spot lamp. i feed them fresh food with powder on and give them pellets as well (which they love). They have tortoise terrain at the bottom around 5cm deep, a water bowl and a hut to hide in. I recently posted on here and in the next few weeks i am going to build a table for them (would of sooner but the pet shop owner said it was bad for young tortoises).
I have read on other threads and the temperatures inside are all constant and good according to what others say.

Now to the issues, they just seem to want to sleep, they do occasionally walk around but if left to it they stay in the same place. but when given a nudge they are off and walking around like their is no tomorrow. one of them seems to get a sore eye here and there so i bath him and sprinkle a bit of water which makes it ok, so im thinking maybe its the terrain that they are walking on. And last i have never seen them drink apart from when i bath them, they have a water dish which is large and shallow which is unused, i just want to know if this is normal and will they be ok. I give them alot of fresh food which will help to hydrate them.
thanks.
you really do need a source of uv its very important to a young tortoise i would also change the substrate for soil and soak them in warm water daily
Old 07-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

I agree with what red foot marg said if you are worried about the warer side of things all i do is dip there greens in a bit of water before i feed it that way you know they are getting some as for drinking from a dish i,ve never seen mine do so i wouldnt worry
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
bradley g
Egg

thank you red foot marg and turnip for the advice, i am going to order a UV bulb today for them, and it is good to know about the water and i will use that little trick in the future. Any idea where to get soil from. and with soil do you have to spray or soak it ?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Soil from a garden centre. It does dry out on a table, so it's a good idea to lightly spray with water every couple of days - it stops it from getting 'dusty' also. Many people do this in the evening when lights are off.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
bradley g
Egg

any type in particular? eg compost or peat?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

I think most people use sterilised top soil
Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
bradley g
Egg

thank you i will get some of that
Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
suttysue
Sub Adult

A lot of folk also add play sand to the top soil with a ratio of 70% soil to 30% sand some use a ratio of 80% / 20%. and quite deep so they can dig which they love to do. have you got a cuttlefish for them as they will sometime chew it when they need extra calcium. Mine dont chew it so I scape a bit on thier food every now and again.
Sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Atrinka
Incubating

If the substrate you are using irritates their eyes I would not mix playsand in. I mixed it in for my sulcatas and it irritated their eyes -they are now on top soil from wickes as b&q's had bits of plastc, glass and lots of twigs and stones.
1 7 cm sulcata
Atrinka is offline   Reply With Quote