Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 19-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
kazzie
Incubating

Default 20 Questions (well not quite 20)

Hi,
Typically, my first hatchlings are due, when i'm away for a girlie netball weekend (hubby tortoise sitting) and my 2 when i'll be sunning myself in Turkey (mother in law tortoise sitting)
So i need to leave them step by step instructions, on what to do, but don't have a clue myself. Therefore i would be happy if someone could answer my questions.

When they start piping, should they be left on the vermiculte, or placed on damp kitchen towell, bearing in mind, there is nobody home for around 9-10 hours some days ?

Should they be put straight in the tortoise run, or left in the incubator for a day or 2 ?

How soon should they be bathed ?

What do you feed them ?

Is nutrobel sufficient as a supplement ?

Infact any advice would be gratefully recieved

Cheers

Karen xx

Last edited by kazzie; 19-09-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Sorry about spelling
kazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

This year I kept coming home to find hatchlings hatched that had buried down in the vermiculite. Some I left overnight, depending on the time of day. Some people move pipped eggs to damp paper but I just left mine. I then transferred them to their baby setup once they were walking about.
If there is no yolk sac visible you can give them a very shallow bath straight away, they tend to drinknloads and will submerge their head for some time(which will freak out your husband/mother in law).

Its a bit of a big responsibility, if a hatchling comes out with a yolk sac it means a lot more care and attention. I didn't have any hatch with this but carefully wrapping a piece of clingfilm round the shell and yolk sac seems a good way to protect it. They stay in the incubator until the yolk sac is absorbed. Maybe you should make your carers aware of this forum, just in case.

Feeding hatchlings, I just fed the same as the adults, finely chopped at first, with some soft leaves. Nutrobal is fine for hatchlings. You can offer food straight away but it can take a good few days for them to eat anything.

Last edited by Kirkie; 19-09-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
kazzie
Incubating

Thanks Kirkie
kazzie is offline   Reply With Quote