Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
FarleyMarley
Egg

Default Looking after 'lost tortoise' please help

Ive just posted a message in the lost/found/stolen section but I do need some help please.

Tonight someone knocked on my door that lives in one of the houses behind mine. The conversation went: "Hello, have you lost a turtle? This one has just dug underneath my fence"
Me - er no, lets have a look

It turns out that the 'turtle' is infact a young tortoise. Im not sure what type he/she is but Ive attached some photographs. Ive kept geckos for some years so am pretty reptile savvy regarding requirements/habitat and nutritional requirements, so I offered to look after it until his owner could be found (after all it didnt bode well someone thinking it was a turtle )

At the moment, Mr Tortoise is in a large underbed storage plastic box, it has a layer of exoterra soil in the bottom (new block, expanded with warm water). He has some dandelion leaves and some grass although doesnt seem to want to eat it. He is active and bright eyed and Ive given him a bit of a bath in some tepid water as his legs were covered in dirt. His shell is a bit pyramided but Im not sure if that is right (I know that a pyramided shell isnt good, but I cant remember why )

Can anyone tell me please what type he is and therefore was his care requirements will be (within the constraints of not keeping him long just until we can find his owners). Also what would be the best diet to have him on please. Does he need some sort of heat lamp? Ive only got a desk lamp, but he might be able to get out of the storage box if I take off the lid. Does he need any fruit/veg/calcium supplement?

He is registered as found with the local vet hospital, the local police and I have also registered him with the national register that is listed on the lost/found section here. We have also put up posters that just say "found, reptile (I know they are not reptiles but I couldnt put tortoise, or chelonia really, I wanted to keep it rather vague), and the area and my telephone number.

Here he is:

Old 10-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

It's a Horsfield and looking like a boy. He needs weeds, you can go on www.thetortoisetable.com for a good guide. Good luck! BTW, he's looking healthy!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
tizzydoodles
Incubating

Roughly what area did you find him? Just the County will be fine.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Lolly8
Adult

Hi.It's a Horsfield.Testudo horsfieldii. If you have decided to not keep him then you can make him some basic temporary home. Storage box or any box would do.You would need basking lamp for a heat and UVB lamp.As for a food, weeds- dandelion,plantain,clover...Have a look feeding section,there is lot of information.He's gorgeous btw. Oh,and I suggest nice long warm bath for him straight away.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...ise_home_1.asp

Last edited by Lolly8; 10-10-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
ziggy's owner
Adult

His a horsfield and his shell is in good shape really, he foes need heat he also needs nutrobal and calcium eg a cuttlefish bone he should be ok in that over night but might need more room plus a uv light

2.0.0 spur thighs
2.3.0 hermanns
2.1.1 marginated
0.0.4 leopard
2.8.0 guinea pigs
1.2.0 Springers
1.0.0 hamster
0.0.1 Blue Tongue skink
2.2.0 Beardies
And tropical fish
Also have baby marginated tortoises for sale
Old 10-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Marly
Sub Adult

I agree with EB, looking like a male Horsefield.
As long as the box has quite deep sides he should not get out and would appreciate the air flow with the lid off.
He does need heat to be active. A 60 to 100 watt bullb aimed downwards would be ok as a temporary measure during the day. They also need uv light but won't go into that as only temporary.
Well done for looking after him and trying to find his owners. Fingers crossed for you.
Just ask away, someone will be here to help x
Old 10-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
TortBabe
Adult

Its lovely you have taken him in....I hope you reunite him with his owner
Old 10-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
THEHANDOFOMEGA
Juvenile

Glad you came on here and posted. They are reptiles though. You have done all you can now. Just a waiting game
Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
FarleyMarley
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquestrianBabe View Post
It's a Horsfield and looking like a boy. He needs weeds, you can go on www.thetortoisetable.com for a good guide. Good luck! BTW, he's looking healthy!
Brill thankyou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzydoodles View Post
Roughly what area did you find him? Just the County will be fine.
South Cheshire, Nantwich area, (the exact area where he was found is a housing estate so if anyone rings, I will know if they are his owners as he cant have travelled too far)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly8 View Post
Hi.It's a Horsfield.Testudo horsfieldii. If you have decided to not keep him then you can make him some basic temporary home. Storage box or any box would do.You would need basking lamp for a heat and UVB lamp.As for a food, weeds- dandelion,plantain,clover...Have a look feeding section,there is lot of information.He's gorgeous btw. Oh,and I suggest nice long warm bath for him straight away.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...ise_home_1.asp
Thankyou, Ive got an plastic underbed storage box, Ive taken the lid off and put it over half of it, Ive just borrowed my sons desk lamp and stood it on a book and put it so he has a basking spot one side. Hes got dandelions at the moment and a couple of cherry tomatoes. He doesnt seem bothered with any of it, just keeps trying to climb the sides lol. I gave him a soak in some tepid water as he was covered in dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy's owner View Post
His a horsfield and his shell is in good shape really, he foes need heat he also needs nutrobal and calcium eg a cuttlefish bone he should be ok in that over night but might need more room plus a uv light
Ive got some nutrobal and calcium so will start with those tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marly View Post
I agree with EB, looking like a male Horsefield.
As long as the box has quite deep sides he should not get out and would appreciate the air flow with the lid off.
He does need heat to be active. A 60 to 100 watt bullb aimed downwards would be ok as a temporary measure during the day. They also need uv light but won't go into that as only temporary.
Well done for looking after him and trying to find his owners. Fingers crossed for you.
Just ask away, someone will be here to help x
Ive got a 40W bulb in the desk lamp at the moment as its all I have but its quite warm indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortBabe View Post
Its lovely you have taken him in....I hope you reunite him with his owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEHANDOFOMEGA View Post
Glad you came on here and posted. They are reptiles though. You have done all you can now. Just a waiting game
Thank you, Im just hoping that someone hasnt got fed up with him and just let him out
Old 10-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

If possible try and get him a 100w spot. You can get these from any hardware or DIY store such as B and Q or homebase. It might not work with the desk lamp holder though....but if it doesnt, a 60w might work and this will be better. He is just a bit scared at the moment. Try not to worry. It will make him a little nervous and his appetite will be off, temporarily. Keep his bathing up daily - nice lukewarm baths.
Suppliment his food with nutrobal, you can buy from this website - there is a shop on here. A UV strip would also be ideal...if time passes and the owners dont come forward. Try not to give him too much fruit - tomatos are fruit and too much of it will make his poo runny. Try Rommaine lettuce, dandyliion (ok in moderation - temporarily), plantain.
I take my hat off to you for being so kind to him. But also, be wary of "fake" owners....make sure you can quiz them (where he was found, who handed him to you, do they have pictures of his set up that they have AND if they have it - his paperwork or some sort of ID - this would be in an ideal world though sadly). Just be aware , there are some that probably would go to any lengths to acquire these lovely creatures as they can be worth money ...although we all would prefer not to think that people would. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 10-10-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Closed Thread