Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 06-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Kirkie
Adult

It goes with the territory of selling CITES listed species I supppse. Its something that gets lost in the apparent plerhora of tortoises available, they're amongst only 5000 species of animal (3000 vertibrates) in the world for which its felt trade restrictions need to apply to prevent a detramental effect on the species.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
Kirkie
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
how many chips will a tort need in their lifetime though. the smaller the chip the easier it is to 'fry' or to simply pack in. just like memory chips you can fry one just by touching it. a bee won't be living 70 years like a tort. good idea in theory but what happens when it packs in, which it will
If we are talking the sort of nano technology that allows these to be used on bee's without inhibiting them then I don't see the problem with the insertion of a second chip.

Ive seen a lot of what if's on this subject, what if the chip moves, what if it packs up. Ever seen wild tortoises with limbs missing or cracked carapaces, they're bloody tough, I'm sure they could handle a chip insertion perhaps more than one if required.

My understanding of this technology is that the chips are passive, a reader gives them enough
juice to send its data. Theres no battery life involved
so any failure would be mechanical. Unless the tortoise walked under a magnet I suppose

Last edited by Kirkie; 06-07-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Jazzotang
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
how many chips will a tort need in their lifetime though. the smaller the chip the easier it is to 'fry' or to simply pack in. just like memory chips you can fry one just by touching it. a bee won't be living 70 years like a tort. good idea in theory but what happens when it packs in, which it will
I was wondering about this Alan, as my dogs microchip failed. Luckily it was discovered on a routine vet visit, so he had to have a new one implanted. The vet told me that its not as rare as you would think it would be , it was a thermo-chip that takes the dogs temperature as well i dont know if that makes a difference.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
Kirkie
Adult

Ahh well, I hink it's a good thing. Microchips over paperwork, technology over bureaucracy. It's the 21st century, they can do amazing things with micro technology these days. The other night I saw a documentry where a submarine and it's crew were shrunk to a size where they were able to be injected into a human body! At least I think it was a documentary, it looked quite dated.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
Kirkie
Adult

I have just been informed this was in fact the 1966 science fiction film "The Fantasic Voyage" starring Donald Pleasence and Rachel Welch, a work of fiction.

My apologies.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #16
EJ
Adult

Fantastic Voyage... quite dated. Not a documentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Ahh well, I hink it's a good thing. Microchips over paperwork, technology over bureaucracy. It's the 21st century, they can do amazing things with micro technology these days. The other night I saw a documentry where a submarine and it's crew were shrunk to a size where they were able to be injected into a human body! At least I think it was a documentary, it looked quite dated.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
I have just been informed this was in fact the 1966 science fiction film "The Fantasic Voyage" starring Donald Pleasence and Rachel Welch, a work of fiction.

My apologies.
Plonker...

I love that film
Old 06-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I wasn't actually talking about the health of the tort but rather the loss of data when the chip packs in. they fail all the time jazz, in computers, washing machines, tellys, cars, phones.. I can't see they will work any longer because they are in a tort. if a tort needs a new one every time it packs in it could need about 20 in its lifetime

Last edited by Alan1; 06-07-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #19
Kirkie
Adult

With the current over 10 cm scheme , I retain a specimen specific certificate which has the microchip number of the tortoise in question. I'd assume that if a chip fails and is replaced you'd apply to DEFRA/animal health for an updated certificate with the new chip number. I haven't had one fail yet so I'm not 100% on that.

The SSC is the permanant record, the chip is just the identifier of the individual.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
EJ
Adult

how can a chip fail? It is a hard wilred device.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote