Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 10-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
zoe1
Incubating

Which one was it ? Might be close enough for me to go down and take the test !
zoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
dugy
Juvenile

i'm just about to phone my local store to see if they stock them.... (what a horrible thing to say: stock torts....) if they do then i will go over and have a nice argument... i'm in one of those moods today as unusually.. i'm hungover!

x
dugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #23
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe1 View Post
Which one was it ? Might be close enough for me to go down and take the test !
My store is in Charlton, a bit far for you i think hun.
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
EJ
Adult

Here's something to think about...

I can't think of a single person who I know who did not get their start with a pet from a shop.

Next... when you ban the sale of any pet in a shop it creates another market... a black market.

Then... the only thing the government can do is to totally ban the sale of such pets.

It strikes me as very short sighted to say shops should not sell tortoises.

It also strikes me with a kind of mob mentality to see how this thread has progressed.

You can keep a tortoise in a viv... you can raise it on spring greens... because some groups drum it into your head that it is wrong... does not make it wrong.

There's a word that keeps popping into mind when I read posts like this... it was actually coined in the UK by... ironicly... some keepers who have become the very thing the said they hated...
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #25
alotoffluff
Adult

Im not saying all shops shouldnt sell tortoises, what i AM saying is, if they are going to sell them, should they not promote good husbandry?
A tortoise being fed entirely on spring greens, no substrate to dig down in, no hide and no cool end to its enclosure..... is this how people should be told to care for a tort?
I am one of those you mentioned who bought my tort from a reptile store, wheer they too had no idea on corresct husbandry, and my tortoise has thrived. But what abotu the ones that dont?
As i saw it, those torts were being cooked slowly, with no cool end, and nowhere to dig down to cool dow, that was my objection!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #26
EJ
Adult

What do you call good husbandry?

Are they kept warm? Are they provided with enough space to move? Do they have water? Are they provided with enough nutrition to sustain life?... that's good husbandry.

Maybe the store owner knows more about reptiles than you do. I always recomend a range only because the new keeper really does not seem to understand how a reptile works. I keep many reptiles including chelonians that do not have a range. They are kept at one temperature. Most shops I know keep the fish and reptile section at about 75 to 80 F... pretty much an ideal temperature.

Most of my tortoises have a substrate of about 1/2 to 1 inches... is that poor husbandry?

My main concern is the way this shop was attacked... it was attacked... but what's worse... is how the op was followed.

This very well could be a bad shop but judging from your account they are obviously trying... or have not encountered a tortoise freak and have not learned to brush them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alotoffluff View Post
Im not saying all shops shouldnt sell tortoises, what i AM saying is, if they are going to sell them, should they not promote good husbandry?
A tortoise being fed entirely on spring greens, no substrate to dig down in, no hide and no cool end to its enclosure..... is this how people should be told to care for a tort?
I am one of those you mentioned who bought my tort from a reptile store, wheer they too had no idea on corresct husbandry, and my tortoise has thrived. But what abotu the ones that dont?
As i saw it, those torts were being cooked slowly, with no cool end, and nowhere to dig down to cool dow, that was my objection!
and
Old 10-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #27
alotoffluff
Adult

yes they are kept warm, too warm...
yes enough space to move
nutrition is questionable
the water bowl was empty!

The "owner" was someone who worked in the shop and had "been on a course"! She of course, has never owned a tort in her life and only went by the book she had in her hand, that was supplied on the course.
Your depth of substrate is entirely up to you, but from the knowledge i have gained and from watching my own tort, i understand that torts like to dig down when they want to sleep or to cool down, and having no substrate other than dust seems cruel to me!

The shop is well known for its diseased fish and lack of care for their animals and adding reptiles to their for sale list is just their way of making more money and having no care for their animals.
Of course your opinion is your own, and maybe i am a tortoise freak, but they wont be brushing me off, nor all the other people that actually care about torts.
At least we are trying to raise awareness and prevent a lot of sick and unwanted torts once the kiddies have got bored with them!
Old 10-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #28
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

They closed my pets@home down as they had so many reports of neglect.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #29
Mrs Frog
Adult

I think the problem is that in England we are supposed to be animal lovers but I am afraid that many animals are kept in very poor conditions and we have people leaving animals left at the side of the road in bags and people getting dogs from the paper that need good homes but they are used for dog fighting and are muzzled so that they cant defend themselves and that is why we get so upset about animals in pet shops who dont stand a chance
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #30
EJ
Adult

Well... then... you have a cause... go for it.

Some people need that.

Oh... as to the course...kinda like a worthless online course on tortoise keeping?

Final point... you are not raising awarness... you are shoving your values and perceptions down the throat of people. Your values are not necessarily the 'right' thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alotoffluff View Post
yes they are kept warm, too warm...
yes enough space to move
nutrition is questionable
the water bowl was empty!

The "owner" was someone who worked in the shop and had "been on a course"! She of course, has never owned a tort in her life and only went by the book she had in her hand, that was supplied on the course.
Your depth of substrate is entirely up to you, but from the knowledge i have gained and from watching my own tort, i understand that torts like to dig down when they want to sleep or to cool down, and having no substrate other than dust seems cruel to me!

The shop is well known for its diseased fish and lack of care for their animals and adding reptiles to their for sale list is just their way of making more money and having no care for their animals.
Of course your opinion is your own, and maybe i am a tortoise freak, but they wont be brushing me off, nor all the other people that actually care about torts.
At least we are trying to raise awareness and prevent a lot of sick and unwanted torts once the kiddies have got bored with them!
and