Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 15-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #11
geordie mark
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to geordie mark

excellent thanks and yeah if i get any problems you's will be the first i consult
geordie mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
yorkshirespambo
Egg

Hi,
If your tortoise is an import from Slovenia I would suggest you take it along to the vets and either have it checked for worms or get a worming treatment. You need to do this while it is eating.
I had a bad experience with this a couple of months ago. I bought a hermanns tortoise not realising it was an import from Slovenia until I got the papers.
Rodney was eating really well and appeared to be fine for several weeks. He became poorly and stopped feeding. Whilst bathing him I noticed a worm in his bath water and another coming away from him. I took him to the vet and was given panacur. The problem was that he was so small I couldn't open his mouth to get it in. Rodney died two or three days later.
If only the shop I had purchased him from had suggesting taking him along to the vet he might still have been alive today.
My daughters have since bought me another tortoise and I took him to the vet within the first month.
Pam
yorkshirespambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
geordie mark
Juvenile

o dear ! i think i will be getting it to the vets asap ! with these being slovenian does this shorten there life span atall ?
Old 15-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
swad1000
Adult

It shouldn't as long as you an get them healthy
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #15
geordie mark
Juvenile

yeah but how do you define a healthy tort all i can thik of atm it seems healthy BUT im still going to the vets !
Old 15-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #16
fi_fi
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to fi_fi

you have been given great advice (of course) so far already, i just wanted to add that in the mean time untill you get replacement more suiteble lights, you might like to try re angleing yoru lights to come down over the tortoise enclosure instead of comeing in at the side - this should give your tort more use of the basking light

Please keep us up to date with your progress :P
Old 15-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #17
geordie mark
Juvenile

come down over the tort enclosure ? you mean build the side up and have it point down for now or have it on the opposite side to the water right next to its little hide away
well ive turned its light off now and its just sitting in the open all tucked it it hasnt burrowed though ... its just lieing on the top and certainly looks asleep ! lol is that ok too ?
and yeah a will keep informed of any progress i.e a pic when he's bathed and a vets report when i go ...
right well im turning in for the night as ive got college the morra thank god its not work lol nice way to ease you into a week mondays being day release ! right im off goodnight !