Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #21
MAGGIE
Egg

Some interesting and thought provoking comments - thanks for raising the subject - had not fully considered the distress a tortoise could be under when being handled for bathing so useful to learn of techniques such as transferring to boxes, etc.
Old 30-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #22
EJ
Adult

I pick up my tortoises as often as possible and I recommend this to other keepers. I suggest touching the tortoises head and opening it's mouth on a regular basis. This makes it easy to assess the health of the tortoise (looking for a pink tongue) and feeding or medicating the tortoise if the need arises.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #23
Pussygalore
Adult

I've had some really nice comments from the people who came to see the hatchlings I had for sale, all saying how surprised they were that my torts seemed so freindly and unafraid, in fact all the torts came over to see the new faces so I feel that everyone benefited from me treating my torts like part of the family and them being used to being handled, hopefully it will rub off on the new owners of my two.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #24
Dreamer
Egg

I handle mine daily for their bath and neither are ever showing any signs of distress - they dont bother withdrawing into their shells, they just sit on my hand (only babies) and one of them likes me to tickle her chin, the other not so much. Also the one will come running over when im near the cage (albeit the greedy one!) and the other couldn't care less. I think they're very individual and although not like your 'cuddly' pets, mine don't mind being handled at all and i don't see a problem with it as long as they don't mind.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #25
^TANK^
Incubating

This is a great thread Steph, I have never considered the idea that it may stress my tortoise out carrying him to the the bathroom for his bath. From now on I'll place him in a container for short journeys!
^TANK^ is offline   Reply With Quote