Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
BrettJHillson
Egg

Default Project Hermann

4ft by 2 ft just built, house with a hinge door and removable front wall to help cleaning

Next job is to line the bottom and about 1 inch of the Walls to protect the wood, I've got the top soil and sand 70/30 mix rdy, got some nice stones and wood to go in also.

Next job is to work out what lighting to use, tube (uv) and hear light or just a combi builb, Arcadia 160w?
Also considering a very small heat matt to go in a small section of the house (any opinion's)*

I've got some window sill grow boxes for inside to grow weeds and plants, got some pansy seeds to start with, need to do some more research here into what else to grow.

Got some grass seed was thinking about trying to grow this in the table before I get tort (any opinions here)

Thx
Brett
BrettJHillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
TortBabe
Adult

It looks great I would personally go for a combined bulb, they give off much better light than seperates. You would need a ceramic lampholder and a lampstand too. Check out Sarahs shop for seeds to grow, she does loads of different kinds. Also check out http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...atabase_14.asp This is a great site
Old 13-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Look's good Bret, what lighting/heat is your choice a good strip and a heat bulb will get you by, a good combined mercury vapour lamp to do both. A small heat mat fastened to the hide top may help with the remaining cool night's if the room kept is cool, this will need a mat stat to run it at a set temp. If the night temp's pick up the mat will not kick in.
Old 13-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Miller07
Hatchling

Your table looks very nice if you decide to go for seperates you can use a normal reflector spotlight for heat that can be bought cheaply in asdas, tescos, B&Q etc.... I've bought the 100w arcadia and must say I'm very pleased with it. I use it with http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/z...p-fixture.html and it fits nicely in to it with no bulb sticking out ond shining in to my eyes like I got with my other lamp fitting lol If I put grass in mine it wouldn't last five minutes lol you could grow some in seed trays and rotate them so the grass dont get too trampled
I use fake grass just gotta be carefull they don't try and eat it, mine dont bother with it x

Children 0.1.0 (8yrs old)
Husband 1.0.0
Kittens 0.2.0
Tortoise 0.0.2 (THB)

facebook.com/Miller07

Last edited by Miller07; 13-03-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Miller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
nikki81
Hatched

Looking good !

0.2.0 Red Foots george and freda

1.0.0 Rusty dog R.I.P

0.1.0 Mice R.I.P gus gus

0.1.0 guinea pig piglet
nikki81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Dazza
Adult

That looks great

darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

What a fantastic table

I use an Arcadia 160 and I love it, nice bright light.

As 16 shells has said, if you were to use a heatmat then i'd fix it on the side of torty's hide, to ensure there is no danger of him overheating or burning himself.
Old 14-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

Smashing looking table there. Thought I would add some input

I would recommend the Arcadia 160w, although it is a 160w - its heat output is more like a 120w so I am told. The good light aspect of these bulbs is also a plus. Depending on how much natural light is in the room where the tortoise is - this will benefit him.
If you go for separates (ie a UV strip and heat light), I would perhaps think about having a reflector to go with the strip to maximise what you can get out of it. They will need replacing every 6months. Combined bulbs normally go between 12-18months before needing replacing. Plus there is the additional benefit of having a 12month warranty with the Arcadia 160w.
For UV strips perhaps look at the Arcadia D3 range, something like a 12-15% UV strip.

The other alternative to night time heating is having a ceramic heat emitter and have this rigged to a thermostat.
What I find with built-in hides ,(and I have one for Lily) is that yes they do like to retreat for some dark, and cooling off - for a sleep. And yes its fine in Spring and Summer but in winter (if you are overwintering), I do find that it can be irregular sometimes seeing them emerge in the mornings, or after napping. Could just be me... It seemed to be almost too dark to stir into moving out of there. Add this to dark mornings (Im still talking in winter months)...then what I found is to leave the lid OFF. And this is where having a ceramic heat emitter works well. By having it suspended in the zone where they sleep, so that its not right over the top, but just angled in to provide soft warmth - they can get this benefit and also more likely to emerge the next day as there is no 'darkened area' where light cant get in. Your lights come on...and this in turn makes the table including the hide benefit from this light. I found Lily emerged (with a couple of exceptions) on even the coldest of days, frost, snow - you name it - he came out for morning bask. So its just something to think about.
Sorry babbling now...will stop
A heat mat is good if that is what you get, suspended to the roof of the hide lid (as has been said)
All in all, a great looking table and some good ideas to go on with Brett. Good stuff ! xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 14-03-2011 at 12:51 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
BrettJHillson
Egg

Ok So im looking at this now:

Arcadia D3 UV Basking Lamp 160w
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/a...lamp-160w.html

Will this go with it ok
Arcadia Reflector Dome Clamp Lamp
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/a...lamp-lamp.html

Im worried that some of the ones ive seen seem to go at a angle where from the advice ive read it needs to be Vertical to work correctly

The other option would be this:
Arcadia Ceramic Lamp Holder and Bracket
http://www.reptilica.co.uk/Arcadia-C...-bracket.phtml

Also I got a temp reader one of the little round ones that sticks on the back, ive curently got it at the back in the middle, would I be better getting 2 one for hot/cold areas, or would a didgital one be better.

Thanks
For your advice, its much appreciated
Brett
BrettJHillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

Any combined bulb - such as the Arcadia must be set so it points vertically downwards. Just check that the clamp lamps can be fixed so they point downwards...on this, I am not sure as I use the ZooMed Deep Dome.
Definitely go for a digital thermometer. You can get a good range of these probably at Surrey Pets or other retail outlets, SW Shop I expect sell them. Get one with a probe and this is will give you the temp at the basking spot.
I have one which I put at the warm end of the enclosure, I also have an infrared point n click thermometer which will pin point the basking spot itself. I also have another one with a probe which I use for night time, where Lily sleeps. I also have it placed by his hide area during the day.
You basically want to know the temps at the basking spot, and the cool end. You also might want something that can tell you the ambient room temp (yeah I forgot...got one of those too)
Your light selection - excellent.
Just see what others say about the clamp. Personally, I find them a bit fiddly...but Im sure they work just fine. But not sure if you could get the angle so it points straight down...
All in all, nice stuff Brett. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote