Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 12-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
rachel30b
Sub Adult

Default advice please

hi i had leopard for about three weeks now at first he didnt do a number two for nearly a week but, now when he goes they are really sloppy (like a cow pat sort of thing), dark green, it isnt trailing out of his bum or anything but assume they should be firmer, any ideas hes seems happy enough

i feeding him on romaine, watercress mix, keep putting timothy hay on it but dont think he eating any, weeds are very sparse at the moment, will get some from near me this weekend, bathing him regularly
rachel30b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
veebee
Sub Adult

Hi Rachel, sounds like its the lettuce thats making him loose, there's not enough fibre in it, as you mention its best mixed with weeds and fresh grass, I pull grass up from the roots so its really fresh and then cut the blades into small pieces so they stick to the other weeds to add some fibre. I find my leopards will willingly eat the very broad leaf grass and the kind you can put in your fingers and whistle with!!

Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
rachel30b
Sub Adult

hi thanks for reply so if i just use ordinary garden grass thats fine chopped up he not eat the timothy hay, yes thinking about the last two days he has romaine and the few days before that i not notice any large toilet droppings , but today there was huge one,

just rang vet he say prob not parasites as he would have had them before i got him and he would sloppy when i first got him

will totally cut romaine out for him
Old 12-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
veebee
Sub Adult

Yes Rachel, cut the grass (not too small about half inch) and it will stick to the washed weeds (and the odd bit of romaine lettuce), by the time they have finished eating, the grass dries in the heat and turns to fresh hay anyway, but mine wont eat hay like yours either.

You say you have had your leopard for 3 weeks now, was it from a pet shop or dealer on line, if so, then it may be worth taking a poo sample to the vets to be checked for worms.

Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I also but timothy hay in a blender. Once blended it comes out very very fine. Once weeds have been washed the hay sticks to it and then they have no choice but to eat it.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
rachel30b
Sub Adult

hi thanks for reply i got him from a rescue centre and he came from a pet shop, poor start to life as he start to pyramid a bit, hes about two/three i think, will try that with the grass and hay

i think his beak bit long what can i file it down with ? feeding him on some slate now hope it will keep it down
Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
sarah
Administrator
Adult

How long is long? any pictures? vets can file it down but as you are doing a good way to file it down in on a some slate.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
rachel30b
Sub Adult

hi dont know how to paste another topic on here but posted some pics in this section on the 27/12 about 12 down from this one it think, its not noticeable long but longer than it should be i think cant notice until he opens mouth
Old 12-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #9
rachel30b
Sub Adult

Default new photo

just took this one of him what you think
Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
aprillinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel30b
hi dont know how to paste another topic on here but posted some pics in this section on the 27/12 about 12 down from this one it think, its not noticeable long but longer than it should be i think cant notice until he opens mouth
hi if you click on other tortoises info and questions you get the main section then on the left it says new thread click on this give the new thread a title then put question etc in the bigger box