Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 24-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #11
rachel30b
Sub Adult

got this tort from a rescue centre and he had been rescued from a pet shop, along with another with another spur thigh who aparently had very badly damaged shell,

so what sort of temps do i need to keep her at assuming she female its about 95 in there in the day at hot spot but goes down to about 65 at night, each side of the table has a spot light so do i leave spot light on at night suggestions please

also do you normal grass as the stufg outside just pick it and hay do you mean the sort like horses have

going to get a bigger table after xmas

the room they are in is quite warm as radiator in there and also my ttumble dryer is in there as well but do not have door shut

thanks for reply
rachel30b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
aprillinda

hi rachel

you might find this link useful it is recomended

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/leopardtortoise-uk/
Old 24-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #13
rachel30b
Sub Adult

yes thanks joined it this afternoon
Old 27-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #14
Glitter

Hi Rachel

Welcome to the Leopard Owners club!!!!

I have 3 Leopards. 2 x 3 month hatchlings and 1 x 1.5 years.

Our leopards have a mix of hemp and oyster shell in their tort tables - mainly hemp especially in the areas they like to sleep.

On an average day they will be given weeds, grass and dried timothy hay. They never get given fruit - once in a blue moon I give them some cucmber but only a little bit and it really is only once in a while.

The temps in the room they are in never fall below 18 degrees...even at night. During the day the average room temperate is around 24/26 degrees with a drop to 18 at night time. The spot light temp is around 35degrees... have tried it hotter and cooler than this but these temps are spot on for my gang.

They all get bathed every other day - sometimes every day in warm water. They love it. The oldest one use to hate having a bath but now loves it and always does a big poo in the water!

I read that Leopards dont really have much of a personality.... I disagree. All 3 of mine are so different in their own ways but all have lovely curious personalities.

Hope this helps.
Old 27-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #15
rachel30b
Sub Adult

thanks Deb didnt think it would be long before you posted a reply to my post, going to get him some readi grass tomorrow, he turns his nose up at weeds and hates baths lol wont do for long though, how active are yours the eldest one especially as cant work out how active they should be thanks
Old 27-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
Glitter

Rach

My eldest Jez's day consists of:

Waking up around 7:30am when the lights come on - depending where he has slept (usually either in plant pot away from heat lamp or burried in hemp under heat lamp) he walks on over to the heat lamp and sits directly under it. We laugh and say he is charging himself up for the day ahead!!!

After he has had about an hour under the heat lamp he has a walk around his table.... looking out for breakfast. If we have not put it down by 10am he gets all stroppy (quite literally goes and stands in a corner with his head facing into the corner).

Once breakfast has arrived (weeds sprinkled with finely chopped timothy hay and limestone / nutrabol powder (limestone every day, nutrabol every 3rd day) he eats most of his breakfast and then walks around again. He will go back under the heat lamp for a while longer then usually at some point plonks himself in his water dish then eats again.

He always has a sleep in the afternoon - early evening I tend to bath him and he is much more lively after his bath.

Its lights out at 7:30pm and he sleeps through til the morning again.

Obviously this is his winter routine. In the summer he will be out during the day and sleep indoors at night (because he is still young).

The babies on the other hand dont stop walking around... I put that down to them being a lot younger and also being together (Jez is still in his own table until the full quarantine has been completed).

I dont think there is a hard and fast rule about how active they are or are not.... I think each one is different. As long as they are eating, drinking and have a wander then they should be fine.