Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 04-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Wellersbird

Default My Leopard

I've had him for about two months now, he's seven and seven and a half inches. Totally gorgeous and a lovely nature. He has a UV tube and a ceramic basking light which is a 100 watt, he loves it under there but moves after a few hours if he's too hot. I think they're pretty good judges to be honest of when they're too hot.
Thing is, is it okay to put him outside on cold days even though he's been warmed up? I'm really scared he'll catch a cold or something but i know the natural light is good for him even when it's not partucularly sunny.
Any advice is welcome!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
Glitter

Hi

I have a 9 month old Leopard (Jez) but I am no-where near as experienced as the other guys on here but will offer you my opinion

Jez likes to bask... as far as I am aware as long as he had warmed up in morning he cant go out for a short while in the afternoon. Jez dosn't like the cold and tend to want to snuggle deep in his substrate if the temp is wrong.

As autum is upon us... I am putting him outside as often as I can when the weather is not too cool.... I understand that an hour in natural light is so much more beneficial than 8 hours under a UV light.

I am sure that someone will be along soon to confirm or advise otherwise.

Would love to see a pic of your Leopard too.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
Wellersbird

Oh a baby, how cute! I have a baby Sully, well he's nearly one now! and I had my six year old Horsefield from the age of one so I know how cute they can be!
I have to say though I prefer the big ones! I cannot wait for my Sully to be big! The enclosure outside is already being planned with great detail!
It's nice here this afternoon and he's thoroughly warmed up cos he's just eaten his dinner for the day so I might put him out for an hour.
Thanks!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
tortoise_crazy
Egg

i have 7 adults and mine go out on even the coldest days as long as they have been able to bask under their heat lamp for a few hours before hand, once out they will normally go back in when they get chilled.
phil
tortoise_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote