Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 20-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Dandelion
Hatched

Question Pasta

I left my tortoises with my mother and she fed them cooked lentils with some pasta and they ate it all up. Will they be ok? I know some have warned against feeding them grains (the ingredients of the pasta were just wheat), and I just wanted to find out why and if my tortoises will be ok.
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there. Will probably be alright as a one-off. Wheat isn't a poison to tortoises and I doubt lentils are either.
Old 20-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Dandelion
Hatched

Thanks! I'm so glad it won't harm them! I wonder what the side effects are to feeding them this every once in a while?
Old 20-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Thanks! I'm so glad it won't harm them! I wonder what the side effects are to feeding them this every once in a while?
One off put it down to your Mother making a mistake, but no way would you feed it to them again. They wouldn't find cooked pasta and lentils in the wild!

I imagine it might make them a bit "squitty".
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

It makes you wonder why your mother thought pasta and lentils were ok for a tortoise:0) :0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I'd say no don't feed this every once in a while!
Old 21-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
I left my tortoises with my mother and she fed them cooked lentils with some pasta and they ate it all up. Will they be ok? I know some have warned against feeding them grains (the ingredients of the pasta were just wheat), and I just wanted to find out why and if my tortoises will be ok.
They are opportunist's! And yes, they do like pasta and cooked beans, particularly green beans. Your tortoise will be fine but I don't recommend feeding it instead of green food
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Dandelion
Hatched

Thumbs up

Thank you all so much!!! I found a little scientific explanation for anyone else who is curious.

"Wheat is high in omega 6 fatty acids which has a negative effect on health. They also have an acidifying effect which causes a leeching of bone. They are high in phytate which binds calcium and other minerals. They also have an unfavorable ca/ph ratio and a low ca/mg ratio which has a negative impact on calcium metabolism. Grains alter Vit D metabolism. Diets high in grains can have a negative impact on bone growth in spite of adequate exposure to sunshine. "

Looks like it won't harm my tortoises since it's a one time thing, but now I'm considering not eating as much pasta and bread as I do. lol!
Old 21-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

It's good you have done your research. We all eat to many carbs.! It's everything in moderation, even for tortoises
And for anyone else with a dog - Now you know why it is bad to feed dogs a dry diet with all these grains in.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #10
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Man-made foods for tortoises are (I think) usually based on grains but I don't think it's wheat. More often oats. I'm not putting a word in for manufactured diets here, just thinking that maybe wheat is specifically not good for them when other grains might not be so much of an issue.

The other point I wanted to make is that reptile digestion is not the same as large mammal digestion and I don't think that wheat has an impact on calcium absorption etc in humans.