Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
BrettJHillson
Egg

Default Lighting Advice

Hi

Im building a 4ft by 2 ft table for a Herman and looking to use a (possibly 2.5 to 3 ft with reflector) uv tube (have a controler for the tube from a spare fish tank) and then a basking tamp.

Just looking on advice for what type of tube (wattage etc) I should go for as there seems so many and also what type of basking lamp would you sujest, Ive heard people saying certain tesco bulbs are ok!

Basking lamp will have either a slate or a ceramic tile underneath

Please advice
BrettJHillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

Hello,

Is the tube going to be your UVB source or the basking lamp?

If the tube is, then I'd recommend a reptisun 10 or an Arcadia 12% tube. If your basking lamp is a UVB source use a reptisun 2.0 tube. The extra light is good.

Bear in mind that you need the right wattage starter for the length of tube. On a four foot table
I'd have a 3 foot tube which needs a 25-30 watt starter unit.

The reflector will increase the amount of UVB that is directly hitting the enclosure but I would have the tube 12-15 inches above the table max if it is the sole UVB source.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
yuna1971
Adult

Hi Brett, it might not be a good idea to put slate underneath the basking spot. It will probably get way too hot for torty to sit on.
I would just leave as sterilised topsoil with perhaps crushed oystershell (SW Shop sells this) around the basking area. I would perhaps add a few stones too, which can help if he flips over. You do not want him doing this in the basking area - so the stones can help with this.
The UV Strip tube as Dave says - either something like the Repti Sun 2.0% or the Repti Glo 2.0%. The Repti Glo has full spectrum light benefit to it, not sure of the Repti Sun but probably this has too.
Remember, only go with this low 2.0% tube IF you are having a combined heat/UV light source - such as a Mega Ray 120w/Arcadia 160w. If you arent, then the suggestions that Dave has given above are good. Arcadia IMO, do make the best strips out there. Bear in mind that with separates (ie - heat bulb and strip bulb) you need to replace the strips every 6 months as the UV deterioration will basically deplete the strip of any good benefit for your tort.
For basking bulb, (if you are going down the separates route) - maybe a 100w halogen spot or flood would be a good starting point.
I would look into and read up on Combined bulbs though - plenty of good threads in the Housing section on here about the best and worst performers.
IMO - check out the Mega Ray 120w/160w and the Arcadia 160w, these do seem to be the front runners. The MR comes with a 6month warranty, the Arcadia comes with a 12month warranty - so if either is a dud one or blows within this time (with proof of purchase) you can get it replaced. They also should throw out good levels of UV for at least 12months before deterioration.
Hope this helps. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Kirkie
Adult

If you angle the slate under the basking spot, making a slope away from the light it makes it pretty impossible for a tortoise to get stuck there whilst creating a temperature gradient at the same time. Thats what I do anyway.

Last edited by Kirkie; 07-03-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
BrettJHillson
Egg

I was thinking the tube for the UVB mainly as the length of the tube would cover more area of the table, if I went for the combined would this give me enough coverage for the UVB rays to do it's job, as this might be a cheaper option from the point of view that the tube needs changing 6 months and the 2nd bulb 6 to a year.

The tile i thought it would be used as a basking rock and thought that ceramic being a good heat retainer would be nice, is this not recommended purly if the tort rolls over and gets stuck then there is trouble

One more, the heat light is it ok to turn off at night bearing in mind the house will be at room temp, I'm presuming yes.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I have 2 of these bulbs (1 in each enclosure) http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/a...lamp-160w.html and can say they are very good for both light and UVB levels. They are guaranteed for 12 months unlike some others which are 6 months. They are the best I have tried so far by a mile. I wouldn't have a slate under a lamp as it will soon become too hot to sit on.

1 of those bulbs would do your enclosure
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
BrettJHillson
Egg

The Arcadia D3 UV Basking Lamp 160w looks like a good idea, will have to investigate more into this one
Old 08-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I compared with Solarglo here http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...t=arcadia+bulb
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Dazza
Adult

We have the New Mega-Ray Raptor bulbs on the market now, have been sending them out since early Jan and i am VERY pleased to report none of the old issues, the UV is good and stable, the flickering is zero and so far no early failures.

I do believe we are now back to the old stable mega ray we had before.

Please i have a customer service manager, who's sole job is to take care of you queries, orders and enquiries.

Thanks to everyone who has stuck with us these last 2 years.

Darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
andybrock
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I have 2 of these bulbs (1 in each enclosure) http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/a...lamp-160w.html and can say they are very good for both light and UVB levels. They are guaranteed for 12 months unlike some others which are 6 months. They are the best I have tried so far by a mile. I wouldn't have a slate under a lamp as it will soon become too hot to sit on.

1 of those bulbs would do your enclosure

Another vote for Arcadia 160W from me.
Great lamp with no problems and 12 month guarantee.
My choice until others are proven.
andybrock is offline   Reply With Quote