Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 30-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #11
nina
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcorthie
I went to another pet shop today to look at uvb lights and they had 4 Hermanns in a viv.Again I was told a viv is ideal and many people will recommend a tortoise table but with living in Scotland you need a viv.
The poor tortoises tank temp was 32c and they had nowhere to escape from the heat
The tortoises were from solvenia
I was also told you need heat pads with all types of tortoise and that you do not hibinate until they are 5-7 years old.
He then started to use scare tactics saying that someone bought a tortoise from him and put it in a tort table and it died very quickly because of the cold.
He also told me that a herman will live for 300 years
Why don't they get their facts straight if they want to sell these animals

Anyway the uvb light I have decided to go for will be this one
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z358538.asp I will get the 18" one.Will this be ok? my cage is 4ft by 2ft.

Sharon
Hi Sharon,

Don't they talk complete rubbish! It's amazing that somewhere along the line the correct information never reached them!
I've got the ReptiSun 10 and really like it. It should last up to a year, instead of only six months like the smaller versions (2.0, 5.0, 8.0) and you can have it up to 20" away (but I still keep mine less than 12 ". As they wear out, you should lower the light (bring it closer to the tort), because the useable UVB covers a smaller distance. I think I'm going to change mine after 9 months, just in case (remember that you can't tell when the UVB wears out because there is still light coming out of the bulb).
I know lots of people swear by the combined bulb, but for one tortoise in an indoor enclosure, I like the flexibility of being able to raise and lower the basking light to get the right temperature without worrying about getting the UVB source too far away. In cold weather I use an ordinary 100W spotlight for basking, changing that to 60W when it's warmer. But of course my tort is outside now so no lights in use at all.

Nina
nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
Pitcorthie
Hatched

Thanks Nina,I think that is the light I shall go for.I bought a basking light from Sarah's shop on here but not sure if I can put a 100 watt bulb in it? Will have to check that.
Thanks again for the advice
Sharon
Pitcorthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #13
nina
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcorthie
Thanks Nina,I think that is the light I shall go for.I bought a basking light from Sarah's shop on here but not sure if I can put a 100 watt bulb in it? Will have to check that.
Thanks again for the advice
Sharon
You probably don't need a 100W bulb. We don't have our central heating on during the day, and I kept Boris up last winter because I hadn't had him long, but I think most people use a 60W bulb (and you can just bring it closer to get it warmer). It's useful to have a thermometer at each end of the enclosure so that you can see if you have your hot and cold ends about right (about 90 at the hot end and 70 at the cool end, and no heat at night).

Nina
nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
Pitcorthie
Hatched

Thanks Nina I have my heating on all winter,I am always cold but not with the temps we have had lately
My lounge (which is where the cage will go) in the winter is always 21c or above so a 60 watt should be just right then.

Sharon
Pitcorthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #15
aprillinda

hi wizzasmum

just to clarify why i will be using both a trex and a general heat lamp

obviosly the trex cannot be on 24 hours a day

as i have siad my house is relativly cold

even 2 weeks back the temp dropped to 19 / 20 so in preparation for winter months i got a heat lamp to be used on a thermostat incase temps go really low for the reds.

the 2 heat sources will not be used togehther

thanks for your concern

linda