Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 20-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #41
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueginger1984 View Post
This is a picture of when Dory showed us his bits! He also tucks his tail into the side which I read is what male torts do.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...4/IMAG0103.jpg
Useful to learn more about the anatomy. Bertie hasn't shown me his bits! What a gentleman I have...
Old 20-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #42
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
Useful to learn more about the anatomy. Bertie hasn't shown me his bits! What a gentleman I have...
Just wait till he does, Jan! The photo of Dory is pretty understated - not that I want him to get a complex - but I would suggest that's about half of it!!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #43
Gordon
Adult

Look like female bits to me.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #44
CherryBrandy
Adult

mmm looks like female to me too or he may actually have a complex or grow into it. not that it matters to her condition. Hoping she has improved with time and eating lots, any weight gain? CB
Old 25-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #45
Blueginger1984
Incubating

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted for a bit. Dory seems a bit better, he had more to eat yesterday and seems more alert. The vets have offered to xray him again tomorrow to see if there is any change since he had the antibiotic injections

Do you really think Dory is a girl? I posted pics on here a long time ago and he was sexed as a boy. Here is a picture of his tail.

I've tested his thermometers as suggested and the reading we're the same. I've also invested in a hand held laser point thermometer.
After I took him to the vets for another injection last weekend, he was sick again, but this time it was clear liquid he brought up.
Old 25-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #46
burnt toast
Adult

Its a hard one to call. Danny on here always reckoned a male tail would touch their ankle whereas a females her thigh. Dory has a short tail for a male but the anal scutes are definate male? What size is Dory please? (As adult females reach far larger sizes than males, so maybe that will help)

Glad Dory has picked up a bit
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #47
Suze65
Adult

I think Dory is a girl.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 07:02 AM   #48
Anyfoot
Incubating

If Dory is a girl I have just learnt something new. Never seen girl bits like that before. Do the males have what looks like a mushroom shape on the end of an erect penis like redfoot males do?
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #49
CherryBrandy
Adult

ooh how very strange. In those pickies I would say definitely a boy!! though lacking concave. none of my girlies have a pointy tail, and Dory does, all my girlies have little stubby short ones. And as lynne says the back end scutes are wide indicating boy - swinging his tail round needs ample space, girlies don't need to strut ,CB
Old 26-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #50
Anyfoot
Incubating

I think it's male, no expert in med species but some things are relatively the same in different species.
This tort has wide open anal scutes like a male. It's tail is not super long but is it not fully mature yet. How old is the tort? Females in most species either have a tighter v shape or a semi circle shape anal scutes to position the eggs. Obviously there are always males that have female attributes and vise versa but a female with an erection I have never come across. When I've seen female bits it could almost be mistaken for a prolapse.
Does anyone else have a female with bits showing like this. All that said, nothing suprises me anymore in the Tortoise world.
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote