Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 15-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
pwinkie03
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura1988 View Post
That is amazing!!! What did you make it out of? Was it difficult to make? I am hopefully moving into a bigger house in Thr next couple of months and would love to make something similar
it is made from conti board, you can get it in white or any wood veneer, B&Q do a free cutting service too so you can get it cut to size. The back and floors are made from MDF. you can see a lot of how it was made in the pictures but if you have any questions if you do decide to build then just ask

0.0.2 Pancake Tortoise - You can see more of Sheldon, Swarley and Spartacus (RIP) at... http://www.youtube.com/user/SheldonandSwarely

pwinkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Laura1988
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwinkie03 View Post
it is made from conti board, you can get it in white or any wood veneer, B&Q do a free cutting service too so you can get it cut to size. The back and floors are made from MDF. you can see a lot of how it was made in the pictures but if you have any questions if you do decide to build then just ask
Thank you, I will have a good look at the pics again and decide if im brave enough to attemp building one!
Old 15-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
sprakey34
Egg

Hi,
Your table is fab. One of the best ones i have seen.
Meriel
sprakey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
houseofcutler
Hatched

That table is awesome! At first i hadn't realized that both levels were joined - even more awesome.

I was coming on here to post a question about wood to use when i build my torts a new table - seems you know your stuff Pwinkie03

I am planning on using Ply wood for my next table as I used MDF last time and Yacht varnish to waterproof it. But this took ages for the fumes to go away did you wanter proof your MDF?

I was thinking of using 18mm softwood ply - will that be strong enough? still open to ideas...

Great work on the mansion though - I am very jealous

0.0.2 THB Slow Vincent Gonzales & Rita Queen of Speed
See my tortoises
Live Feed

Testudo Weight Recorder with Jackson calculation and graphs

houseofcutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
pwinkie03
Hatchling

Hi Ben Sorry I seem to have missed your post! thank you for all the lovely things you said about pancake mansion it was a labour of love... but they have settled in really well now! so, onto wood... yes 18mm ply will certainly be strong enough! (wowza much stronger than mdf). If you go for exterior grade stuff, it eliminates the need to waterproof - to some extent. I used the expanding foam, then grout, then sealed it all with varnish and yes it took a fair while for the fumes to go! I put thick plastic sheeting down first so the floor is well protected, I would recommend you do the same! I used conti board on the outside edges (because you can get it in white/wood veneers) which looks nicer as its a piece of furniture in our lounge. But as I said, ply certainly is the best choice for strength If you have any other questions... feel free to ask! hopefully pancake mansion has inspired.... Louise

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcutler View Post
That table is awesome! At first i hadn't realized that both levels were joined - even more awesome.

I was coming on here to post a question about wood to use when i build my torts a new table - seems you know your stuff Pwinkie03

I am planning on using Ply wood for my next table as I used MDF last time and Yacht varnish to waterproof it. But this took ages for the fumes to go away did you wanter proof your MDF?

I was thinking of using 18mm softwood ply - will that be strong enough? still open to ideas...

Great work on the mansion though - I am very jealous

0.0.2 Pancake Tortoise - You can see more of Sheldon, Swarley and Spartacus (RIP) at... http://www.youtube.com/user/SheldonandSwarely

Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
Mighty_Quinn
Hatchling

This is ace!!! love it!!!!!

Im possibly getting toroise number two so looking at having something like this to make more room as i live in a flat. Need to find a good cheap joiner though! (my uncle is one but getting him to help is about the same chances of me winning the lottery!!!)
Old 08-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
pwinkie03
Hatchling

good luck with the build! Ite really not that complicated to do, especially now th big DIY stores will cut all your wood to size for free!

Tags
2 level, pancake, table, tortoise